Karl`s PC Help Forums

No thread drift
delanti - 16-12-2007 at 22:30

The story by Daz on Random Searches made me think of one of my experiences.

Coming through a small town in a 35 MPH speed zone just after dark, I met a car and as soon as it passed I see something in my lane of the road immediately in front of me. Hammering the brakes, I heard a thump before I got stopped. Throwing the car in park, I walked around back and there was a little shaggy dog laying sprawled out in the road. Just then, the dog owner came running out to check the dog and said she was a goner and he would get a shovel.

His wife was standing on the sidewalk and I walked over to her expressing my sorrow for the fact that I had no chance to stop before hitting the poor thing.

Her husband arrived with the shovel, going to the back of the car and asked "where is she"? We said "I don't know" and looking around, the dog was setting on the sidewalk right next to the wife looking around like "what are you guys doing any way"?

I saw the guy a week later and he said the dog was fine, I must have just knocked her out for a minute or two. It was sure a happier ending than I thought it was going to be when I first see that thing sprawled out in the road.:clap):clap):clap):clap)

scholar - 16-12-2007 at 22:46

Sheesh, Delanti. Could be you any more vague in your title?
:jester) :jester)

Katzy - 16-12-2007 at 23:16

I had a cat run, at full-pelt, into the front wheel of a Kawasaki Z1, that I was riding, at 90 degress from my line of travel. As I sort of weaved to a halt, I expected the cat to be sliced.

He just stood up, had a shake and sauntered off like he was just out for his morning stroll. shocked_yellow

marymary100 - 16-12-2007 at 23:17

Nine lives indeed. :)

delanti - 17-12-2007 at 00:05

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

Hey Scholar I didn't want to be accused of thread drift look what happened to Giron. One time he had a little thread drift and now he's gone. Of course if I did thread drift now I would not have to worry about getting a good birching anyway. waveysmiley

scholar - 17-12-2007 at 00:15

I still hold out hope that Giron will be back. We are very close to coming up on the anniversary of the day he was one of the winners of the quarter million post competition.:D

If anybody sees him around, say hello for me.waveysmiley

I have a personal preference for titles that describe the contents. For example, instead of "I was wondering. . ." I would prefer the title ". . . does anyone here know about gardening?" Either is part of the sentence, but the second half for the title would be so much more specific.

However, it is a subject of artistic preference of the poster.;)

Dreamweaver - 17-12-2007 at 00:19

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
Quote:

Hey Scholar I didn't want to be accused of thread drift look what happened to Giron. One time he had a little thread drift and now he's gone. Of course if I did thread drift now I would not have to worry about getting a good birching anyway. waveysmiley

Giron was a thread drifter but no one here ever stopped him... maybe he got a tad bored??? confused2

scholar - 17-12-2007 at 00:30

Delanti, are you suggesting that Giron has been absent because people complained to him or about him when he made off-topic comments?

I do remember those of us who would sometimes take notice of whomever was Member of the Day got some grief over it.

the bear - 17-12-2007 at 00:35

Years ago I was a front seat passenger in car, we we're driving on a winding bye road across the Yorkshire moors. The road was very narrow so effectively you had to drive more in the middle of the road than anywhere. On the drivers side was quite a steep bank topped with a stone wall.

Just as my colleague negotiated a sharp bend a sheep jumped out of its field over the wall and into the front of the car.

The impact was felt right through the car. Having stopped we both got out and went to look, No sign of the sheep, but the car had a crumpled wing, smashed head light, damage to the bumper and valance and the radiator grill was really smashed. The radiator was holed and leaking badly,with the fan and fan belt broken. Steam and water everywhere. The car was undrivable and had to be recovered. (Could'nt get the sheeps name and address as it had left the scene).
No sheep just a huge repair bill.

Regards the Bear

scholar - 17-12-2007 at 00:40

And the darn sheep ran off without giving name or address! I'll bet he had no insurance.waggyfinger

the bear - 17-12-2007 at 00:48

either that or a criminal record, it may not have been a sheep but a "mule" in disguise, perhaps he was the local drugs baron animal lol. waveysmiley

Regards the Bear

delanti - 17-12-2007 at 04:05

Quote:
Delanti, are you suggesting that Giron has been absent because people complained to him or about him when he made off-topic comments?

I do remember those of us who would sometimes take notice of whomever was Member of the Day got some grief over it.

You know Scholar I wish you would quit putting words in my mouth. I said what I said and I didn't stutter. I did not
say he was expelled or punished for thread drift! I hate it when people want to make more of something I say than what I intended. Thanks.lips_sealed

scholar - 17-12-2007 at 04:21

I didn't say anything about him being expelled or punished, nor did I put any words in your mouth. I asked a question. Nobody has said that he hasn't been absent of his own volition.

I don't know what you mean by "look what happened to Giron. One time he had a little thread drift and now he's gone," so I asked. confused2

LSemmens - 17-12-2007 at 11:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
I had a cat run, at full-pelt, into the front wheel of a Kawasaki Z1, that I was riding, at 90 degress from my line of travel. As I sort of weaved to a halt, I expected the cat to be sliced.

He just stood up, had a shake and sauntered off like he was just out for his morning stroll. shocked_yellow
Bugga the cat! How did you manage to stay upright? How fast were you travelling? I managed to write off a good pair of trousers when my Z1000ST decided that the oil on the corner wasn't good for traction!