Karl`s PC Help Forums

Laws are made to be ignored?
Badgergirl - 5-12-2007 at 16:12

My Partner was given a 10 hour shift the other day, which was nice for the Cash. Unfortunatley the poor sod was only given 15 mins break all day. When he asked the Manager, he just said "I've been in longer and I've not had my break ether".

Sorry mate, that's YOUR problem! If I understand it, there would be about 1-1/2 hrs in that day where My Jay wasn't getting paid!

My Brother is on a 10pm-6am night shift this week, for Seven Days in a row!

The other Day, my Partner ended up with a 3pm-midnight followed by a 5 hour break, followed by another 6 hour shift. With NO time to travel the hour home (and back) as the break came in the middle of the night!

Again, no sympathy from the management.

I bring this up with folk from time to time, most of them just say "Meh, That's Work for you"

So what we are telling ourselves is that the Laws made to keep us safe and healthy are there to be ignored!

scholar - 5-12-2007 at 16:22

Earlier in my life, I had a boss who did not allow the morning and evening breaks required by law. :(

Most of the workers took the breaks on their own initiative, when he wasn't there, but they kept working if he was present. When I was new, and didn't know this was the practice, I stopped to take my break at the usual time and got chewed out for it.

Since I wanted to keep the job, I never make any official complaint.

Dreamweaver - 5-12-2007 at 16:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
My Partner was given a 10 hour shift the other day, which was nice for the Cash. Unfortunatley the poor sod was only given 15 mins break all day. When he asked the Manager, he just said "I've been in longer and I've not had my break ether".

Sorry mate, that's YOUR problem! If I understand it, there would be about 1-1/2 hrs in that day where My Jay wasn't getting paid!

My Brother is on a 10pm-6am night shift this week, for Seven Days in a row!

The other Day, my Partner ended up with a 3pm-midnight followed by a 5 hour break, followed by another 6 hour shift. With NO time to travel the hour home (and back) as the break came in the middle of the night!

Again, no sympathy from the management.

I bring this up with folk from time to time, most of them just say "Meh, That's Work for you"

So what we are telling ourselves is that the Laws made to keep us safe and healthy are there to be ignored!

Rest assured though, if there was an accident it would be your partners/brothers fault.

The problem is if no one tells anyone it will carry on and on.

The only advice I would give is to tell someone, possibly A.C.A.S or environmental health. I am sure they wouldn't divulge the source if rquested.

Heres a link to ACAS they give all the regulations etc for workers.

Workers Rights

marymary100 - 5-12-2007 at 17:13

You won't get me I'm part of the union...................get him to join up if he hasn't already. Unity is strength.

janet - 5-12-2007 at 17:14

Yup

I don't have a particularly strong union but at least it's there....

Badgergirl - 5-12-2007 at 19:45

The long hours have meant my Partner has slept through his alarm clock once or twice and ended up late for work. (He'd be less late if he didn't have such a long walk, which I reminded him when he felt so guilty).

It's NOT an easy feat to sleep through his alarm clock, I can tell you! Mine is a pleasant beeping that get's steadily louder and faster. His is the equivalent of being thrown in arctic water first thing in the morning!