Karl`s PC Help Forums

Postumous degree
marymary100 - 4-12-2007 at 18:12

My friend from teacher training days died during the summer after a 10 year battle with cancer. She had borne this bravely, always coming back to work after each bout of chemo or radiation or whatever experimental procedure they wanted to try next.
On top of this, apart from her family life which was her priority, she did a post graduate qualification at a Scottish university. They were very understanding when she was ill and although she nearly completed it she was laterly too ill to finish the last module in writing.
I was overcome with joy today to hear that the university has decided to award the qualification postumously based on the quality of work she had already undertaken and the plans she had discussed with her tutor. Her family have been invited to the ceremony. Isn't that wonderful?

janet - 4-12-2007 at 18:23

Yes. :)

I know of other times this has been done, or something similar - and yes, I think it's a good thing.

Swish Checkley - 4-12-2007 at 18:33

A good decision and one I'm sure her family will appreciate.

LSemmens - 5-12-2007 at 13:43

Absolutely! It has brought a lump to my throat in admiration for her determination. She richly deserved the fruit of her labour amd I trust that her family is justifiably proud of her achievement. It is fantastic to hear that an organisation, such as this University, is willing to honour this lady based upon the standard of work already presented. I hope that, not only will the family attend the presentation, but that the media are there too, as an encouragement to other victims of this insidious disease.

marymary100 - 5-12-2007 at 16:10

Emmm, I'm not sure about the media but all her colleagues have been told so some of us might go to represent us as a whole.

scholar - 5-12-2007 at 16:36

That is good to hear.kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 6-12-2007 at 12:48

I understand the reticence over the media, Mary. My thinking on this is that this is such a triumph over adversity, despite the sad ending, that there are people out there who need a "wake up" call and reminder that, despite our circumstances, we can achieve remarkable things. The media is always willing to report the negative things in this world, but not so often, the positive.