Karl`s PC Help Forums

Intel School Project
marymary100 - 30-11-2007 at 07:28

Intel school project

Good thing or is the criticism justified?

janet - 30-11-2007 at 10:42

There's *always* going to be criticism - it's education.

We all know that everyone can teach - I mean, it's easy, right?

And that everyone and their brother knows more about it than those who do it, right?

And that any time anyone actually tries to do something for others, they're going to be labelled a "do gooder" (which I still don't see as an insult) and so on?

Overall, my take? Give it five years, *then* we'll evaluate it and see if it's had an impact. But for now? More power to people who are actually trying to *do* something, rather than sitting around saying why it shouldn't be done.

Theravad - 30-11-2007 at 10:58

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Intel school project

Good thing or is the criticism justified?

Now you have my blood boiling.

This is the WinTel monopoly spoiler for the AMD & OpenSource based $100 laptop.

Intel and Mickey$oft do not want free software and cheap hardware (that is not Intel) being freely available in schools.

This is also a travesty of fund allocation where many children do not have clean water/ parents / shelter / food. Our school has a relationship with a school in Uganda and it is writing paper, pencils, support to feed the orphans at the school ( and new buildings to house them ) that are the priority. An interactive white board cost would allow us to build a whole new school in Uganda !!!!!!!!!!

<sound of head exploding with rage>

T

LSemmens - 30-11-2007 at 12:34

I'm with you on that one Simon! In countries such as this, basic education should be a priority. Teaching the children to live in their home society and survive should take priority over technology which many of them will never see while the current regime is in power and using aid from foreign countries to feed their populace whilst lining their own pockets and spending money on their "border protection policies"

delanti - 30-11-2007 at 15:49

Just what I need, more computer literate Nigerians that can send me more letters telling me of my opportunity to reap millions with a small contribution of my own money. I don't think I would feel this way if it were any other country however.

The big boys never thought Nicholas Negroponte would be able to build a hundred dollar lap top. As soon as he did however they jumped on the band wagon just so they could make a few more million at the expense of poor countries. Why don't they do that for all the schools in the US first, then worry about the Foreign countries.kewl_glasses