Karl`s PC Help Forums

Be careful where you store your phone
Quaver - 28-11-2007 at 17:25

Quote:
Authorities in South Korea are investigating the death of a man amid reports he may have been killed by an exploding mobile phone battery.

He was found at his workplace with a melted battery in his shirt pocket and punctured lungs and heart.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7117014.stm

OK, the phone was only sold in Korea, but it could happen anywhere....


marymary100 - 28-11-2007 at 17:32

shocked_yellowlips_sealed

Good grief! They don't warn the customers about that at my daughter's workplace.


runrig - 28-11-2007 at 18:49

I am definately NOT keeping mine in my front trouser pockets ever again...........too close for comfort !!
:P:Pwaveysmileywaveysmiley


scholar - 28-11-2007 at 18:52

:o O Runrig, will this persuade you to carry a purse?:o:o:o:P


runrig - 28-11-2007 at 18:54

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
:o O Runrig, will this persuade you to carry a purse?:o:o:o:P

I will NOT be carrying it in my Sporran either......that is far too close for comfort !!
:P:P:D:Dwaveysmiley


LSemmens - 29-11-2007 at 10:41

There were issues not too long ago regarding Laptop batteries, as mobile phone batteries are the same technology, it is reasonable to expect that this may happen. I think it was just plain bad luck that it killed him, in other circumstances, he may have been severely injured. Certainly not to be trifled with, but, where do you keep your mobile when you are out and about? I have a leather pouch with a clip that I sometimes use, but, more often than not my phone lives in a pocket.


Quaver - 29-11-2007 at 11:31

I wonder if the phone starts to get warm before it explodes? Perhaps monitoring the phone regularly might prevent such occuranceconfused2


Wilbur - 30-11-2007 at 22:02

Don't panic, as apparently it is not true.....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071130/tot-uk-korea-phone-death-566e283_1.html


Quaver - 30-11-2007 at 22:17

Oh dear:o What a story to make uplips_sealed


victor - 30-11-2007 at 23:15

There was a similar story a few years ago about plastic cigarette lighters exploding in peoples pockets and that was found to be a ruse.
But as a smoker I have used a lot of these plastic lighters and have found that dropping them onto a hard surface will cause them to explode, not through combustion but through the sudden release of the pressurised gas and they do go with a considerable bang. smokin:


janet - 30-11-2007 at 23:24

Always a useful reference....


LSemmens - 1-12-2007 at 11:01

Are you saying we've been had! By the BBC, too! Ouch! confused2


Daz - 1-12-2007 at 11:08

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Are you saying we've been had! By the BBC, too! Ouch! confused2


The BBC are nothing special these days, only in their eyes they remain the worlds best...

IMHO, we should drop the license fee... Make them (BBC) raise their own finances... We rarely ever watch BBC channels in this house, maybe BBC3 now and again...


LSemmens - 1-12-2007 at 12:18

I never watch the BBC!


Wilbur - 1-12-2007 at 13:12

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
There was a similar story a few years ago about plastic cigarette lighters exploding in peoples pockets and that was found to be a ruse.
But as a smoker I have used a lot of these plastic lighters and have found that dropping them onto a hard surface will cause them to explode, not through combustion but through the sudden release of the pressurised gas and they do go with a considerable bang. smokin:


It happened to me once many years ago.............I put my plastic lighter down on my desk and shortly after it just went 'bang' and blew up nearly causing me a coronary and a change of trousers.
It had never happened before and has not happened since..........I guess once was enough, and was rather glad that the thing was not in my trouser pocket when it committed suicide.............:D


victor - 1-12-2007 at 16:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur
Quote:
Originally posted by victor
There was a similar story a few years ago about plastic cigarette lighters exploding in peoples pockets and that was found to be a ruse.
But as a smoker I have used a lot of these plastic lighters and have found that dropping them onto a hard surface will cause them to explode, not through combustion but through the sudden release of the pressurised gas and they do go with a considerable bang. smokin:


It happened to me once many years ago.............I put my plastic lighter down on my desk and shortly after it just went 'bang' and blew up nearly causing me a coronary and a change of trousers.
It had never happened before and has not happened since..........I guess once was enough, and was rather glad that the thing was not in my trouser pocket when it committed suicide.............:D
shocked_yellow
I bet that stopped you from smoking in class. ;):D