Karl`s PC Help Forums

Are you getting enough?
marymary100 - 28-11-2007 at 16:31

Sleep that is! Or are you TATT?

scholar - 28-11-2007 at 16:42

Mary's article has useful information about strategies for getting to sleep:)

marymary100 - 28-11-2007 at 16:57

I don't think people need micro-managed scholar. I'm sure they're capable of reading the article themselves.

scholar - 28-11-2007 at 17:11

I agree that they can read it themselves. I am of the opinion that more might be inclined to take the time to do so, if they know it has techniques, as well as information.;)

[I don't have time to read everything presented to me.]

Quaver - 28-11-2007 at 17:12

I'd like to do that Japanese 'Inemuri':D

Dreamweaver - 28-11-2007 at 17:44

I wonder if thats why my MuM used to call me tatty head lol.

Seriously though I don't get enough sleep and do power nap at times :)

marymary100 - 28-11-2007 at 17:47

I flag in the early evening then perk right up around midnight. Dashed inconvenient as I get up at 6.30.

janet - 28-11-2007 at 17:50

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I agree that they can read it themselves. I am of the opinion that more might be inclined to take the time to do so, if they know it has techniques, as well as information.;)

[I don't have time to read everything presented to me.]

(I'm with MaryMary, I just find it irritating - it's up to the original poster to be clear enough with the title of the link. This one was more than clear enough).

On the topic - I think there are three elements... (at least).

One is obviously the idea that many people don't sleep well enough, eat well enough, etc.

Another is that it's only in the last however many years that people have really *expected* to feel well all the time - I don't think our parents did (I know mine did not).

Third - I suspect we suffer from the idea that there are things that are generically "right" for everyone - when in fact different people have different needs. We've moved away from the whole idea that babies should have set times for feeding and most people that I know now feed on demand.

But we as adults can't live our lives like that - we rise when we have to (not when we naturally wake), we eat when we have time to, often long before or after we are hungry, we rest when work is over, not when we're tired, we sleep when we can, not when we'd want to...

I don't think there's a way round that at the moment for most people (but working from home sure helps!).

scholar - 28-11-2007 at 17:53

If people are divided into morning larks and night owls, I am a nightowl. My metabolism is slow in the morning, with a lower body temperature for several hours.

Quaver - 28-11-2007 at 18:13

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
But we as adults can't live our lives like that - we rise when we have to (not when we naturally wake), we eat when we have time to, often long before or after we are hungry, we rest when work is over, not when we're tired, we sleep when we can, not when we'd want to...

I had an opportunity to rise when I want to and sleep when I want to for a week or so this summer.
It turned out I like sleeping at 2am, and waking at 11am:D I need 9 hrs sleepkewl_glasses

Swish Checkley - 29-11-2007 at 09:21

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
(I'm with MaryMary, I just find it irritating - it's up to the original poster to be clear enough with the title of the link. This one was more than clear enough).

Thirded. I agree that links with no explanations at all are unhelpful and as a rule I generally won't follow them on principle - mostly because I'm at work and people do not label links as having sound or video (sometimes it's obvious from the web address but not always) but one poster saying what another poster means is patronising both to the original poster and to the other readers.

LSemmens - 29-11-2007 at 11:43

Fourthded!

B.O.T.
I power nap every night! From about 2AM to 10AM.

Quaver - 29-11-2007 at 11:51

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I power nap every night! From about 2AM to 10AM.

That's a power nap?:o

LSemmens - 29-11-2007 at 12:08

Yep! My power is off, and I don't remember a thing, probably because I am asleep at the time!

Badgergirl - 30-11-2007 at 15:31

I'm a night-owl! It's 3.30 and I'm only just recovered from my early morning.

I'm actually an "8 hours a night" girl, ;) , Ideally I'd go to bed at two and get up at 10.

These days I go to bed at 12 and get up at about 8.