Karl`s PC Help Forums

Primal Scream Therapy
LSemmens - 28-11-2007 at 12:49

If it ain't fun, don't do it any more! I'd start looking for something that was enjoyable. I left the computer industry, not because I didn't like computers, I could get paid the same money as an environmental vandal (tree lopper) and less stress, hence, more fun! I feel for you BG, all I xan offer is hang in there until something better comes along and then grab it with both hands! Meantime all I can offer is (((((BG))))) a chocolate and coffee. (The downside is, I live over an hour from the nearest airport, and probably a bit more than that from you!)

janet - 5-12-2007 at 10:57

ARGHGHGHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have a king size mattress in my dining room. It's been there since David took ill and we got a new one - the people who delivered the new one brought the old one downstairs but couldn't take it away.

It won't fit in our cars.

I finally got round to phoning my county council today to ask them to take it away. I told them I was a recent widow and lived alone.

They can't collect it from inside the house because they can't be sure I'll be home. I guaranteed to be home.

They can't collect it from inside - and suggested I get my family and friends to help me take it outside.

What part of "widow who lives alone" suggested to them that I had family around???

They then suggested I take it to the tip.

If I could have done that, I'd have done, already! Since I've just said that I can't get it out of the house on my own, how in the name of all that's holy am I supposed to get it out of the house, down the drive, in my car, and all the way across town?

I've dealt with banks that got stuff wrong, a phone company that cut me off for five days while they changed Mr D to Dr J on the account name, cold callers who insist on talking to David, old uncle Tom Cobbley and all - but this is about to send me over the edge.
ARGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Swish Checkley - 5-12-2007 at 11:07

(((Janet))) Could your neighbours helps you get it outside? They seem like nice people from what I've heard. I'm having similar problems getting rid of a super king size mattress, except I'm trying to get money for it too because it was rather expensive!

janet - 5-12-2007 at 11:15

They probably could, and would, it's just the whole denseness of the conversation that's getting to me....

Dreamweaver - 5-12-2007 at 11:58

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
They probably could, and would, it's just the whole denseness of the conversation that's getting to me....

And the fact that you were once very capable of sorting your own "mess" out, but now it seems too much at times.
I hear you Janet xxxx

Quaver - 5-12-2007 at 12:26

Perhaps take an unwanted chair outside with a note, and when the bin man comes, ask them inside to get the mattress out? Perhaps lure them in with a tip:D
They take 3 things don't they? (Or is it different in different counties?)

When I had council come for my sofa, they didn't come on the specified date though, they came a day laterlips_sealed

LSemmens - 5-12-2007 at 14:44

If the mattress is still in fair condition, maybe the likes of the Salvation Army, or St Vinnies, will actually come and collect it. As for the council, if you get no success, there, have a talk to your local MP, he/she may be able to stir things along for you. Your taxes do pay their wages, and they are more likely to get your vote if they help you.

janet - 5-12-2007 at 14:57

THe mattress has seen ten years' use - otherwise I'd have freecycled it. :(

janet - 5-12-2007 at 14:59

Another rant.

HOW HARD IS IT FOR ORGANISATIONS TO UNDERSTAND, "HE'S DEAD"????

The bank can't get it through their minds... the HOSPITAL wrote to him last week asking how he found his recent care... ARGHGHGHGHGHG

LSemmens - 5-12-2007 at 15:12

All I can think of is some caustic remarks which are neither tasteful or helpful, so all I can do is say, I'm thinking of you Janet.

Quaver - 5-12-2007 at 15:28

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I'm thinking of you Janet.

Me too (((Janet)))

Swish Checkley - 5-12-2007 at 19:19

Quote:
the HOSPITAL wrote to him last week asking how he found his recent care... ARGHGHGHGHGHG

shocked_yellowdrop_down
The Hospital? Good grief, if you don't complain about that I will for you, that's appalling (((Janet)))

scholar - 5-12-2007 at 19:28

(((Janet)))

Wilbur - 5-12-2007 at 19:42

Quote:
Kick's self in posterior! Computer has been getting flakier and flakier over the last few days. I installed a SATA drive and a new video card along with Vista. Vista got the flick after a short time and XP re-installed. New video card has VGA, DVI and Super Video ports, so thought I'd also plug in my other monitor to give me a dual monitor system. THe system would recognise the monitor but would not talk to it. Intermittently would not boot up. You get the idea...

Silly me, didn't restore system to original config. I spent days mucking around, thinking that the video card was a problem. Tried Linux as part of the issue resolution and couldn't even boot. Finally got back into the system with UBCDW and still couldn't 'fix it" Eventually got around to unplugging the new SATA drive and suddenly all starts behaving itself!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Who said to strip a system back to bare bones and take it one step at a time. Bashes head on desk! Remember to write a thousand times, "go back to basics".

Currently am typing this on lappy whilst I am re-loading XP on a vacant partition on one of my other drives, I'll see how well my new video card works before trying that SATA drive again. Holds breath!..........Going Blue, breaths and crosses fingers instead.

Back later!

Just wondering what PSU you have in your PC............maybe adding another HDD is too much for it to start up ?

Wild thought....smokin:

LSemmens - 6-12-2007 at 13:08

Your thought wasn't so wild, Wilbur. I'm still using the cheapy PSU that came with the case two years ago. I did resolve the problem, and it wasn't a PSU problem. The "double adaptor" yoke that someone who shall remain kicked in the posterior made was not made properly! I replaced it and the system is now as stable as the Titanic, before it left dry dock. I even got my other monitor working, too. (bodgy DVI - VGA adaptor)

Wilbur - 6-12-2007 at 13:14

Glad you got it sorted the 'easy way' :D

However, I would be a touch concerned if you are powering your 'loved one' with a cheapy PSU............I expect you will have good internal cooling that is prolonging its life. smokin:

'Cos I am nosey..........far too often for my own good......what make/model is it ?

LSemmens - 6-12-2007 at 14:02

No idea! It's a 300 Watter. I have plenty of spare parts so if it falls over, I can keep working. I generally keep my boxes running until It can't perform a task that I need in reasonable time, then I build a new one! My last box was a Duron 600 that I inherited from my son. This one's an Athlon 3000, so I'll be upgrading again in a couple of years, I guess.

Wilbur - 6-12-2007 at 18:11

Well, if it does 'fall over' and releases the 'magic smoke' I just hope it doesn't take some of your more expensive parts with it for company :D
It may just be sitting there gently killing your motherboard, hdd's and opticals smokin:

LSemmens - 7-12-2007 at 11:02

I know all about smoke and mirrors. Backups are performed often enough for me to get confused about what is on which CD/DVD. As for expensive components, the most any one component costs me is only around $100AU, so, no great loss.

Wilbur - 7-12-2007 at 18:55

I expect you have good cooling inside your case, which is even more important as you actually have some hot sunshine in your part of the world..............unlike us downtrodden pomms :D

LSemmens - 8-12-2007 at 12:12

The side cover is still off from when I last fixed it! Normally, the only extra cooling I use is and additional case fan working in unison with the other one. i.e.
one side sucking, the other side blowing.
I spent 26 years in the Tropics with no cooling issues for PCs. Back on topic! I'd better have a scream!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

Loaded up the trailer and hooked it up to the Ute (pick-up for you Yanks) to take a load of rubbish to the tip. As I'm driving down the road to our local tip, the engine cuts out. No problem, I'm probably out of gas, so I switch over to petrol. Get into the tip and wait an exorbitant amount of time for the attendant to take my money and let me dump my rubbish that the Ute cuts out again. I sit there waiting, and waiting, and waiting parked facing uphill. Finally I get the go ahead to proceed to the tip face. Bl***y ute would not start! I cranked, it'd fire and stop... and cranked, fire and stop... switched back to gas and same same! Eventually attendant wanders over again and helps me to get some of the rubbish off, but all the metal has to go at the bottom of the hill and they won't take old tyres! What sort of a rubbish dump doesn't take rubbish! So... I roll back down the hill (good thing I can back with a trailer) and unload the metal on flattish ground, thinking ute might now start.... nup! Guess where my mobile phone is? Yup! At home some 10 miles away! Dump attendant doesn't have access to a phone and is due to close the place in 30mins. Problem is, tip doesn't open again until Thursday! Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhh! Fortunately, another fellow at the tip, took pity on me and offered some petrol that he had with him, didn't help. He then towed me out to the gate so that I could then return to collect it later and offered to drop me home. As we pulled up, he said "since we're going there anyway, I may as well tow you home!" I was most thankful and relieved. As we start rolling down hill, I thought, I'll try this once more. Placed car in second and dropped the clutch! The bl***y thing fired and stayed running! So I flagged my new friend down and we stopped so I could disconnect the rope. He was new to our town anyway, so he wasn't really going out of his way and followed me home, to make sure I made it. I did! He waved and took off up the street to his home. As he turned the corner I realised that I'd thrown my wallet and prescriptions which I needed to take to the Chemist on his front seat! And I didn't know where in our town he lived! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!
I raced inside and got the keys to our car and took off hoping to catch him, no luck! Went home and explained the long sad saga to SWMBO who was entertaining a friend who'd called in to see me and was quite bemused with the entire episode! Had a coffee and we then went driving around town until I saw a Ute resembling his. Fortunately it's a small town and it was his place! He hadn't even seen my wallet on the seat and was most apologetic. I got home thinking that I'll have to tow my ute around to the back gate so I can get it started again. Nope! it fired and I drove it around and parked it comfortably, all on a gas tank that is supposedly empty!

Arwenna - 10-12-2007 at 21:58

Be glad when this day is done, only a couple of hours to go, so hopefully tomorrow will be a better one. They say it comes in 3’s well today, there was a few more than that.

1. 7.15 am got call to say that my mate had passed over

2. 9.30am got told that favourite cousin, was back in hospital due to an infection after operation a couple of weeks ago.

3. Noon gave notice to a tenant of one of the rooms, due to the fact he had been smoking in the house, if I can go outside when am up there so can he. There were other things but that was the main one. So he got to the 6th Jan 08 to found somewhere else.

4. My partner got paid for a job that he should have been paid for on Friday when he got home and counted out the money it was a Ł100.00 short that will teach him to count it again in front of them.

5. Think am coming down with the flu’ shaking like someone coming off drink or drugs, so cold the heating on full on but it like am in the freezer, throat hurts so does back teeth

It a good thing there’s not a six or I could say double or nothing if I was a betting woman, well tomorrows another day, just hoping I can get out of bed as daughter is coming to see me from Cardiff were she now living and I do look forward to seeing her :)

scholar - 10-12-2007 at 22:30

(((Arwenna)))

Arwenna - 11-12-2007 at 11:50

:) Happy now, daughter just walked in, haven't had chance to talk with her, her phone hasn't stop, but at least she here :)

LSemmens - 11-12-2007 at 13:41

Enjoy your time with her! I'm now only beginning to realise what I missed out on as a kid because my father died when I was very young. I can now say that I count all of my own kids as friends, and get a lot out of being a part of their lives. It's something, I think I would have enjoyed as I was growing to have a dad to be a friend. Now I'm being maudlin..... aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Arwenna - 12-12-2007 at 11:04

You not being maudlin, you said it just I feel, special after Feb 06, when we were both in a car accident, a minute early we would have been knocking on heaven’s door. We were sat at traffic lights, thankfully the traffic in front had started to drive off, when we were hit from the back by a van full of beds, which shoved us up the road like a black ball. She lost her job due to her injuries, which she still suffering from, now she in a job she loves even more and are relationship deepen even further, so we even more like sister then we were :) so we are bless that some good as come out of bad :)

LSemmens - 12-12-2007 at 13:42

Understand the car accident thing, I've been in the same situation with one of my sons, except I was the victim.

Badgergirl - 12-12-2007 at 23:25

((Arwenna))

Badgergirl - 12-12-2007 at 23:27

My Cousin, a landscape gardener, is in hospital having surgery on his thumb.

His mother called, and is prone to exaggerations. He may, or may not have cut it off today.

I'm upset for cousin, and angry at Aunt for being untrustworthy (a character trait) and causing panic.

marymary100 - 13-12-2007 at 00:20

I got the tip of my thumb cut off when I was a child and they managed to re-attach it. A colleague at work recently used a machine without the guard and lost his thumb and unfortunately severed a vein. They saved him but not the thumb.

I hope that your cousin manages to save at least enough to be able to be able to continue to work.

victor - 13-12-2007 at 00:40

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh!Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggg ggghhhhhhhh!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh!Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggg ggghhhhhhhh!

Thank you Leigh I really needed to borrow them.

LSemmens - 13-12-2007 at 11:46

That's alright, Victor, you are more than welcome to borrow my screams, what are we screaming about?

LSemmens - 13-12-2007 at 11:50

I understand your concern, and scepticism, re: your auntie. Please keep us posted! As an ex landscape gardener / tree lopper, I can imagine all sorts of possible accidents that would cause such an injury. I attempted to remove the top of my thumb with a chainsaw once.

Quaver - 13-12-2007 at 13:10

Quote:
I attempted to remove the top of my thumb with a chainsaw once.

Not on purpose?shocked_yellow

scholar - 13-12-2007 at 15:33

Someone has stretched the window wider than my screen!shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow

It's not worth screaming about, though.;)

LSemmens - 14-12-2007 at 13:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Quote:
I attempted to remove the top of my thumb with a chainsaw once.

Not on purpose?shocked_yellow
I was on top of a ladder pruning a palm and reached around the palm to change hands with the saw. I managed to hit the chain with my thumb as it came to a stop. The feller who sharpened the chain shoulda been shot, I'd sharpened it too well!

LSemmens - 12-1-2008 at 10:50

'nother Scream, but I'm too annoyed to do it, so consider this screamed!

I've just spent the day hanging two doors, bi-folds to meet up with a third door to make a triple opening in the shed I'm converting to a rumpus room. As the floor is not level there was a lot of stuffing around trying to a) get them to hang square, and to get them to open properly without binding on the floor. I'd also used parliament hinges so that the latches on the bi-folds were able to be hidden and I could, if necessary, open one door at a time. I was just finalising the second door, it fits and swings beautifully when SWMBO walks out and says, "there's a problem", I say "What?", "The doors don't match!"

I bought three doors at auction to match the other two that I'd purchased the same way some months earlier and had hung in the house. Two of the new doors have 10 panels of glass in them and one of the new ones has 8! The one's in the house also have 8 panels. So now I've either got to replace the two doors in the house and patch up the latch mechanisms, then re-shape the doors I've just fitted, to suit the house or see if I can find another 10 panel glass door! I need one more door anyway, so I guess I get to spend another day at the auction house (120 km away).

scholar - 12-1-2008 at 12:35

I was not aware doors had to match, in order to work properly. Doesn't that make them kind of ordinary and dull?

Maybe it's a wife thing.:)

LSemmens - 13-1-2008 at 11:11

You are right, they both work, but it's a bit like wearing a tux with a golfing jacket.

Badgergirl - 23-1-2008 at 18:46

Some people can be so RUDE!

I joined a forum in memory of Heath Ledger, and one girl had joined to post "People Die, it's Sad, why do this?"

I privatley messaged her, realising that some people would be very upset to see her seemingly callous post. I worded it more tactfully than that though.

She e-mailed back saying she'd only greave for the close relatives she'd lost, and doesn't understand this public greaf. Fair-enough I say.

But she then went on to criticize my writing style (Using examples to emphasise my points) and said I was to save my life lessons for my therapist!

I replied thanking her for responding to my original message (It seems rare on facebook) and said I was sorry to hear she had lost friends. (This was personal info she chose to reveal to a perfect stranger, so I felt I should express my sympathy). I made a small apology for my original post which may have sounded patronising, with my use of examples.

I also said there was no need to be rude and question my mental health. "Let's not get into a match".

Her last message was "Yes, Yes, now stop messaging me, it's invading my personal space" She was gonna report me, instead of just blocking me.

She also called me "Judy" when she had no real way of knowing that is what I am known as.

Had she been less rude, I would have added her as a friend, now I have had to report her for the content of her messages.

Sometimes I think friendly conversation is dead, when people can get offended at Kind words.

Quaver - 23-1-2008 at 22:41

Some people can be rude, try to forget them and move onwaveysmiley

janet - 26-2-2008 at 18:32

The man has just been about the boiler.

In essence, we can repair bits or we can do the whole system. It really makes more sense to do the whole system and put in the ensuite I've talked about for years, while we're at it.

That's ok, it'll be ok...

But damnit, this has really set me back. There is no "we".

This is NOT something I should have to be deciding about myself.

It's just a damn boiler and a bunch of pipes, so why am I in floods of tears?

(Six months on Saturday).

marymary100 - 26-2-2008 at 18:54

That's why............(((J)))

LSemmens - 27-2-2008 at 12:47

((((Janet)))) I can say no more!

Badgergirl - 7-3-2008 at 00:46

OH DAMN!

I didnt realise Thursday was the 6th, and I forgot to sign on at the jobcentre.

Damn!

I blame the Leap Year.

Now I'm worried.

Redwolf5150 - 7-3-2008 at 01:10

(((Janet)))

Arwenna - 7-3-2008 at 11:31

((((Janet)))) kissykissy

janet - 3-4-2008 at 11:50

ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!angrymad2
angrymad2
angrymad2
angrymad2
ooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_ee

LSemmens - 3-4-2008 at 14:35

We're listening Janet! Get it off your chest! ((((Janet))))

janet - 3-4-2008 at 15:50

Just one of those days.

Quaver - 4-4-2008 at 07:12

Arrragggghhhhhcrybabymecrybabymecrybabyme
I cracked my parents glass coffee table by putting my laptop on it directscared_stiff
Haven't confessed to my parents yet - will they notice a 4 inch crack?:(
Why didn't I put something under itangrymad2 angrymad2 angrymad2

John_Little - 4-4-2008 at 08:31

I don't understand that. Was it the heat?

you want that french polisher man from the yellow pages advert. Can you french polish a scratch in a glass top table?

Or those windscreen repairer people. I think you can buy that stuff in halfords.

Quaver - 4-4-2008 at 09:19

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I don't understand that. Was it the heat?

Yes:(
Quote:
Can you french polish a scratch in a glass top table?

It's not a scratch, it's cracked:(
Quote:
I think you can buy that stuff in halfords.

How does that workconfused2

John_Little - 4-4-2008 at 09:27

I think you get a little tube or bottle of some stuff that seeps into the crack and makes it almost invisible. It used to be used on car windscreens provided the crack was not in the drivers visibility area thing. It is quite impressive.

Hang, I'll try googling for it........

John_Little - 4-4-2008 at 09:30

I can find loads of places that do the repair job but none that actually sell the stuff. But I assure you it exists - or used to.

Mind you, its not that expensive to replace a bit of glass and its normally quite easy to do. I bet it just rests on a recess and will come out easily.

Ł15 maybe? Depending on the size.

John_Little - 4-4-2008 at 09:36

Here you go, but it may be worth getting a new bit of glass if it is about the same price.

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/style-windscreenwindshield-repair-p-1469.html

Quaver - 4-4-2008 at 11:26

Quote:
Here you go, but it may be worth getting a new bit of glass if it is about the same price.

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/style-windscreenwindshield-repair-p-1469.html

Thanks, that may do the trickkewl_glasses

LSemmens - 4-4-2008 at 13:46

It may well be quicker, and easier, to 'fess up, there's a good chance that it will be covered on insurance, anyway.

John_Little - 4-4-2008 at 13:50

And its not as if its really really your fault. I dont think you could be accused of being careless. I wouldn't have thought about it. Its just an accident.

Quaver - 6-4-2008 at 00:44

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_ee
The crack went all the way to the end in split second, and the table is in two nowdrop_down
Mum said it's OK (when the crack was 4 inch), the table was cheap to begin with. BUT... I haven't told them about this new incidentcrybabymecrybabymecrybabyme

LSemmens - 6-4-2008 at 12:57

I think that they'll notice, Q. I've just noticed that your CUT is "The Q", if you are, indeed, that omnipotent being, then, fixing that glass, should be a snap! (every pun intended!)

Quaver - 6-4-2008 at 13:52

Quote:
I think that they'll notice, Q. I've just noticed that your CUT is "The Q", if you are, indeed, that omnipotent being, then, fixing that glass, should be a snap! (every pun intended!)

:smash)
Dad 'fixed' it by throwing a macrame over it:D

LSemmens - 6-4-2008 at 14:27

It works for me!

Quaver - 6-4-2008 at 14:30

Quote:
It works for me!

:Dwaveysmiley

Badgergirl - 13-4-2008 at 17:19

I've got today and tommorrow off Work.

As usual, I have had a migrane. But this time, I had all sorts of little fun things to do today while J was at work. Stuff like reading my book* quietly and watching My Palin Himalaya DVD with my brother.
Instead, I spent untill 3pm randomly being sick and fending off a pounding headache.:(

The last concubine by Lesley Downer. Set in 19th C Japan.

janet - 13-4-2008 at 17:26

BG, I don't know if it will help, but we realised that every time David had a day off and wasn't going out, he ended up with a bad headache - we finally traced it to the fact that at work, or if he were going out, he drank coffee; on other days, he didn't - in essence, he was suffering from caffeine withdrawal!

LSemmens - 14-4-2008 at 12:24

It could well be coffee. I used to get kidney stones from too much coffee, I cut back, and am now fine!

Badgergirl - 14-4-2008 at 14:16

Quote:
BG, I don't know if it will help, but we realised that every time David had a day off and wasn't going out, he ended up with a bad headache - we finally traced it to the fact that at work, or if he were going out, he drank coffee; on other days, he didn't - in essence, he was suffering from caffeine withdrawal!

I thought it may be the red bull I had when I started early at work the day before. However on days when I'm NOT at work, I usually drink a few cups of tea. When I AM at work, It's just one red bull. About equal caffine.

Taurine perhaps?

LSemmens - 19-6-2008 at 13:48

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ir's been one of those days! I shoulda stayed in bed!

THe job I had planned todat couldn't be done as the fekker wan't going to be home, so i booked tomorrow instead, forgetting that I had already arranged for a couple of mates to come 'round and help me lat concrete. A nuisance but that is all. I thought I'd ring the mates and say Monday instead, but SWMBO was looking forward to a "girlie day" with the wives, so I thought, I'd sort it out later. I'd already said I could take a load to the tip for someone else, so went and picked that u, came home to add some more rubbish to the trailer and find out what time the tip is open (council only opens it for a few hours on Thursdays and Saturdays). Their website has it so well hidden that I had to ring them. to ask. It was only arount 1300 and it didn't open until 1400, so I was sweet! watched a TV show then took off for the tip at 1430 leaving plenty of time to get home to meet some friends who were calling in with a recalcitrant lappy. So far - so good! Got to the tip and unloaded the rubbish, but decided that it would be wise to get some fuel as I was out of gas and running on petrol which was also nearly out. Up to the next ttown and got my gas. As I had an empty trailer, and I'd noticed some dead trees on the side of the road, I thought I'd load them up - free firewood et al. As I was returning home, and the load was secure, but overhanging the sides a bit (no chainsaw with me) I was being careful not to cause any problems to other road users and pulled off the road to allow following trafic to pass. If I'd a) been speeding and b) not considerate of other users, I'd have gotten home without incident. Not me! Considerate fool that I am! A member of our constabukary was heading in the opposite direction and decided that my load was "unsafe" and turned around to follow me. I saw him turn and thought, "he's afer me", but there was nowhere for me to go as all the backroads that headed to my town were behind me. He followed me for a good Kilometre before using siren and lights to pull me over once I'd entered the town limits of our neighbouring town! Then, after I'd stopped he made me drive further into the town to better "parking area" (opposite the pub - I wonder if he wanted to be seen making such an important collar) where he proceeded to lecture me upon my "unsafe" load, which could not be moved as it was very secure (I'd made sure of that) and then wandered around inspecting all and sundry. He'd discovered thast my rego had expired - which I knew and son was in town renewing at the time - he let that one go, but said he would check on it again. He also found that I'd forgotten to secure the safety chain on the trailer. He let that go too, but decided to fine me for an excessively long load (only about 200mm over length and an excessively wide load, which was fair enough as it protruded about a metre on one side. Total cost $500.00!

I live in the bl***y country where you'd not see a car for a hour at times and I only needed to drive 10 km home! Where is the justice? The cop shop in our town is a single man station (ok - it's a woman) which is often closed because she is off doing "policee" things, and I get done by a young cop from I don't know where who was out for a drive!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

delanti - 19-6-2008 at 16:35

So...............did you get the concrete done?lips_sealed

scholar - 19-6-2008 at 19:10

:( :( :( I sure feel for you, Leigh. That's a lot a money to pay for a good deed.

My younger daughter, who is really pretty, used to get out of tickets and fines by crying, but it doesn't work so well for men.

victor - 19-6-2008 at 19:20

$500.00

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'll give you a hand Les

Did you tell him the timber was lying across the road and you were taking it away so it wouldn't cause an accident. ;)

LSemmens - 21-6-2008 at 13:55

Nope! but it's a bl***y nice fire!

Concreting will be done when I've got more time, maybe next week.

Swish Checkley - 31-7-2008 at 14:26

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!
ooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_ee
I do NOT need the insurance company being useless in response to my complaint about them being useless.
I do NOT want a standard reply to a specific question that completely ignores the situation I have clearly described to them and the question I have asked.
And I do NOT want to have to phone them up and explain all this to them because dammit my brother has died and I am UPSET.

marymary100 - 31-7-2008 at 14:40

(((Swish)))

Swish Checkley - 31-7-2008 at 14:47

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
(((Swish)))

Thanks. The most annoying thing is I knew I would have trouble with the insurance company from the very first phone call we made to notify them of our claim. It would seem they have not logged it and will probably refuse our claim because they have to be informed within 24 hours.

marymary100 - 31-7-2008 at 14:57

Get your phone company to verify your call.

LSemmens - 1-8-2008 at 13:31

Sounds like they have a problem! Make solicitor noises, or media type noises when next you ring them! If that gets no positive response, consult a solicitor. Meantime, we're all here for you Swishie. Some can identify with your frustrations, more so than most of us. Hang in there! ((((((Swish)))))))

Swish Checkley - 1-8-2008 at 14:21

Quote:
Sounds like they have a problem! Make solicitor noises, or media type noises when next you ring them! If that gets no positive response, consult a solicitor. Meantime, we're all here for you Swishie. Some can identify with your frustrations, more so than most of us. Hang in there! ((((((Swish)))))))

Thanks. I sent an e-mail expressing my disappointment at their inabilty to answer my question and got a one line answer to my question, which I am less than impressed about but at least it's an answer. Being angry with something I CAN do something about (i.e. complain) actually helps a little with the grief :)

LSemmens - 1-8-2008 at 15:48

Keep us posted, we're here for you!

Badgergirl - 12-8-2008 at 18:56

AAAAARGH!!!!

Got to work today to find a note on my locker asking me to "clear out the rubbish in there"

It seems my supervisor caught a glimpse of the 5 crisp packets (with Alton Tower's vouchers) and the Tetra Pack in my locker, among all the other stuff of mine I keep in there.

I left a note on my locker saying "Please keep out of my locker J xx" I'd guessed it was Mr supervisor but didn't have full proof.

When he confronted me about it I said 1) It's not rubbish, and 2) Please don't go in my locker again.

He replied that it was already open, and that it was "Not your locker"

All I said to that was "it's locked, it's got my stuff in it and my name on it, Please don't go in my locker again"

Who the hell does he think he is?

He STILL told me to throw out what's in there.

Swish Checkley - 12-8-2008 at 18:57

Erm what? Your business and none of his what you keep in there surely?
Sheesh!

marymary100 - 12-8-2008 at 19:12

Is there a problem with vermin or insects perhaps?

Badgergirl - 12-8-2008 at 19:21

Quote:
Is there a problem with vermin or insects perhaps?

Yes, but the crisp packets are clean, and the food stored in his locker (Mostly loose biccys from what I see) would make more of a temptation to rodents!

marymary100 - 12-8-2008 at 19:25

Probably would.

(I left out a glass of nearly finished Pepsi Max a few weeks ago and when I came downstairs next morning the glass was full of drowned ants. I nearly died. Funnily enough I haven't seen one since. Some scents get them more than others perhaps.)

janet - 12-8-2008 at 20:33

Technically, I suspect it isn't your locker - any more than the computer my employer has given me to use for work is "mine".

To be honest, it is your supervisor's business what you keep in there.

Quaver - 13-8-2008 at 03:59

Hide stuff that looks like rubbish to another person in another bag, out of sightkewl_glasses

LSemmens - 13-8-2008 at 14:21

The union may take a dim view of this form of harrassment!

Badgergirl - 13-8-2008 at 14:31

Quote:
Technically, I suspect it isn't your locker - any more than the computer my employer has given me to use for work is "mine".

To be honest, it is your supervisor's business what you keep in there.

So how do you define what's ok to keep in your locker?
Paperwork but not makeup?
Sanitary towels but not your lunch?
A book but not a newspaper?

It's all stuff I use on a daily basis and need to keep at work. I figured this was the purpouse of having a locker!

janet - 13-8-2008 at 14:33

What is permissable, to be honest, is what your employer allows.

The locker is your employer's property, after all.

John_Little - 13-8-2008 at 14:46

But the stuff in it is yours. And they are private lockers. When the need arises to check peoples lockers - as it sometimes does, then they should be opened in the presence of witnesses and a reasonable warning would normally be given. If a theft was suspected it should be done in your presence and your consent sought. Sometimes the owners of lockers are unknown and there may be a need to see which ones are still in use and by whom.

Other than that, it is reasonable to expect some privacy about the contents of your locker. But, in this case, it sounds like there may be a health and safety issue if there is an identified problem with vermin and I can see that he may have a point. Having said that, it would be reasonable for you to keep your lunch in your locker.

Badgergirl - 13-8-2008 at 14:53

Quote:
But the stuff in it is yours. And they are private lockers. When the need arises to check peoples lockers - as it sometimes does, then they should be opened in the presence of witnesses and a reasonable warning would normally be given. If a theft was suspected it should be done in your presence and your consent sought. Sometimes the owners of lockers are unknown and there may be a need to see which ones are still in use and by whom.

Other than that, it is reasonable to expect some privacy about the contents of your locker. But, in this case, it sounds like there may be a health and safety issue if there is an identified problem with vermin and I can see that he may have a point. Having said that, it would be reasonable for you to keep your lunch in your locker.

Even when I explained the situation he still wanted me to take the stuff home.
Which is daft, coz we ALL keep stuff like that in our lockers and HE keeps loose biccys. *hehe*

Redwolf5150 - 15-8-2008 at 04:18

Moving!

I HATES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we have to basically get the bulky furniture moved Saturday while Jake and Missy have a big truck to move THEIR stuff.

And Jackie is still recovering from major abdominal surgery so she can't lift much.

Did I mention we have to move the contents of a four-bedroom house?

Into another four-bedroom that will eventually (hopefully) have a studio on the main floor along with my office.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Going to see if the football coach can get us some "volunteers" to help Saturday with the bulky stuff.

Did I mention we have lots of bulky stuff?

The 90-gallon fish tank was fun enough four years ago. I'm not looking forward to moving it again.

rant0000rant0000rant0000

Swish Checkley - 15-8-2008 at 11:10

(((Redwolf)))
An update on my earlier scream.... My insurance claim has been acknowledged. They require more information from the travel company about costs (fair enough, they have said they can post me that today) and are still asking for a medical certificate in addition to the death certificate because we returned before my brother died, which frankly is annoying given the circumstances of my brother's death, grr. But it looks like we will be able to recover a reasonable amount of money.

janet - 15-8-2008 at 11:17

((Redwolf)) and ((Swish))

LSemmens - 15-8-2008 at 12:40

That's good news Swish (if you can call the circumstances "good" - YKWIM) (((((Swishie)))))

I'd volunteer to help you move RW, but I'm a bit far away. If you are prepared to put on a slab or two and a barbie for the workers, I'm sure you'll find some voluteers.

We moved a few years back and, owing to the timing, all of the friends who would help were all otherwise engaged (I can't remember what it was now, but it was important). It was left to three disabled pensioners to pack up our house and move 50Km down the road! (Two of the disabled pensioners were SWMBO and myself)

Badgergirl - 27-8-2008 at 14:23

Got most of the way to the Bus-Stop this morning and decided to turn around, go home and sleep! I felt ILL, like a migrane coming on with an added cold.

I phoned my manager on her mobile so she could find cover if needed, she asked me what was wrong and if I'd been to the doctors about it. She finished off with "You don't sound like you've got a migrane but go on home"

What the hell does a migrane SOUND like for goodness sake?

Badgergirl - 29-8-2008 at 20:10

Work again....
Had my PDR with a lovely lady Supervisor Josie* I work with a fair bit.
But she said some things that confused me greatly.

t could well be that the only thing stopping me from doing guided tours around the fort is the fact I'm "Scruffy", which with a hairbrush in my locker which I'm seen to use a lot, freshly ironed shirts every day and regulation wearing of correct uniform in correct fasion, is news to me!
If I AM scruffy, then why not tell me subtly to wear certain bits of Uniform on a tour, jokily tell me that Mary looks pristine on her tours and I should copy her ...and THEN see what kind of guide I make without judging me before I even get to do a tour!?!?

Apparently my Manager agrees (The one who knows what I migrane ought to sound like)

She's also the quietest colleage I've ever worked with, where all the others chat a lot. I do tell them a lot about myself because I'm really chatty, and most of my other colleages do the same, and I listen. The chats I had with a colleage who left in a temper were the reason I liked her so much.

But apparently I'm not good at "two way conversations with staff",....but I've been praised for how well I talk to customers and sell memberships...that I listen to them and chat naturally, matching my sales to their needs.
So am I good at conversation or bad at it?

Joise also wants me to show more initiative. When I Do show initiative nobody cares, or I get told off by Martin the evil locker snooping supervisor. Or I do something that nobody sees and nobody notices 'till it's not done anymore.

I WANT OUT OF THIS JOB!

Oh, and If I do the same working hours as everyone else from September, I'll spend 4 1/2 hrs getting to and from work. Josie says she doesn't get to sit down 'till 9pm after she gets home.
She gets home at about 6.45, I get in at 8.30pm
Go figure.

*all names have been changed!

Quaver - 29-8-2008 at 20:18

Have a cuppa tea_breaky

LSemmens - 30-8-2008 at 13:53

(((((((((BG)))))))))

Badgergirl - 31-8-2008 at 14:18

:D
Thanks dudes.

Redwolf5150 - 31-8-2008 at 14:39

((((BG))))

I, too, am not happy at my job.

However, it has been demonstrated to me that anything I write here can, and will be thrown back in my face if I'm not careful.

So I must leave it at that.

*crosses fingers that I hear I got the SECOND job I interviewed for Thursday*

kewl_glasses

Quaver - 31-8-2008 at 17:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150

Good luck Red;)

Badgergirl - 31-8-2008 at 17:49

Quote:
((((BG))))

However, it has been demonstrated to me that anything I write here can, and will be thrown back in my face if I'm not careful.

kewl_glasses

They know you are on KF and you are "Redwolf"?
That Sucks.
So far I've managed to keep my blogging life and KF life apart from the rest of my stuff.

scholar - 1-9-2008 at 07:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
Quote:
((((BG))))

kewl_glasses

That Sucks.
So far I've managed to keep my blogging life and KF life apart from the rest of my stuff.
They probably got a hint when Redwolf used to use his own real-life first and last name as part of his sig in every post. I've noticed that has changed.

Quaver - 2-9-2008 at 00:29

Quote:
That Sucks.

That's amazingshocked_yellow

scholar - 2-9-2008 at 00:43

Quote:
Quote:
That Sucks.

That's amazingshocked_yellow
Didn't you know KF is that famous?

Surely you've noticed we have a lot of lurkers (robots checking for search engine listings) most of the time.

They would notice and list times that Redwolf's real name appeared in one of the first three posts in any topic.

Quaver - 2-9-2008 at 01:14

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Didn't you know KF is that famous?

Well yes, but not to this extentkewl_glasses

Swish Checkley - 11-9-2008 at 11:51

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!
I had a week's holiday last week with Mr Swish which was just what I needed, relaxing and lots of sleep after six weeks of insomnia.
All this week I have been failing to sleep, getting later and later each night and now my appetite has gone again too.
Not sleeping enough and having to force myself to eat is really getting me down. :( crybabyme

Quaver - 11-9-2008 at 11:58

Quote:
Originally posted by Swish Checkley
having to force myself to eat is really getting me down. :( crybabyme

Just don't eat when not hungry, that's what I do when jet lagged;) A bit of fruit salad usually until the appetite returns. Your stomach is probably too tired. Give it a restwaveysmiley

Swish Checkley - 11-9-2008 at 13:00

I can't not eat. I need the energy and I especially need the energy after not sleeping. I've already lost half a stone (which incidentally I'm pleased about) and I keep getting headaches and dizzy spells.
Sorry to be so negative, I appreciate the advice :)

janet - 11-9-2008 at 13:06

((Swish))

I know this cycle - not eating because can't be bothered/don't think about it/whatever, feeling bad (due to not having eaten) and then not wanting to eat.

I'll reiterate what you tell me, "Eat, woman!" :} (Sorry not to be around online - odd things happening with connections!).

Many hugs.

(Since you're not eating much - treat yourself to something you DO like but generally avoid?)

scholar - 11-9-2008 at 13:08

(((Swish)))

When I went through a period of no appetite, I drank nutrition shakes to help get me through it (e.g. Ensure, Slimfast). But, I remember Janet once told me this thread was aimed at scream-for-release, and not so much for advice, so scream away.

Quaver - 11-9-2008 at 13:15

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
this thread was aimed at scream-for-release, and not so much for advice, so scream away.

Yes, scream away! waveysmiley

Swish Checkley - 11-9-2008 at 13:24

Quote:
I'll reiterate what you tell me, "Eat, woman!" :}

I know, and I did ask you to nag me so thanks for doing so! I am eating because I know I have to, I'm just finding it hard.
I have wept all over a colleague this afternoon and feel a little better for it.
And I'm a step ahread of you on the eating something nice front - I've already got the venison and orange sausages out of the freezer :D

delanti - 11-9-2008 at 15:01

vENISON AND ORANGE SAUSAGES????? I am available for dinner in case you can not eat too much I can help with the left overs!

Seriously, I think we all go through periods where we are blessed with minor aggravations. I remember I went through a period of insomnia years ago. I was thinking about seeing a Dr. after about a week and then all of a sudden it was gone. Who knows why! I have RLS and have had no problems with it for months since I take a pill before bedtime. Well, the last 2 nights it had came in the night making it miserable. Last night I was up 2 AM and finally got back to sleep about 3:15. The night before It was up at 12:30AM, back to bed at 1:30, back up at 3 and back to bed at 4:20. I am starting to feel like Bear but I know it will pass. confused2

Swish Checkley - 11-9-2008 at 15:08

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
vENISON AND ORANGE SAUSAGES????? I am available for dinner in case you can not eat too much I can help with the left overs!

:) They are very good indeed.

Quote:
Seriously, I think we all go through periods where we are blessed with minor aggravations. I remember I went through a period of insomnia years ago. I was thinking about seeing a Dr. after about a week and then all of a sudden it was gone. Who knows why! I have RLS and have had no problems with it for months since I take a pill before bedtime. Well, the last 2 nights it had came in the night making it miserable. Last night I was up 2 AM and finally got back to sleep about 3:15. The night before It was up at 12:30AM, back to bed at 1:30, back up at 3 and back to bed at 4:20. I am starting to feel like Bear but I know it will pass. confused2

*nodding* This too will pass. I do keep telling myself that, I just wish it would be soon!
Hope you're sleeping better soon waveysmiley

janet - 11-9-2008 at 16:05

Quote:
Quote:
I'll reiterate what you tell me, "Eat, woman!" :}

I know, and I did ask you to nag me so thanks for doing so! I am eating because I know I have to, I'm just finding it hard.
I have wept all over a colleague this afternoon and feel a little better for it.
And I'm a step ahread of you on the eating something nice front - I've already got the venison and orange sausages out of the freezer :D

That knocking?

That's me at your front door, that is. ;)

And good on you - go, eat, watch a soppy film and have a bubbly bath - and TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!! :D

Swish Checkley - 11-9-2008 at 18:22

Ah, bangers and mash. Can't beat comfort food. I'm going to have to disappoint Delanti and Janet because I did eat them, sorry guys! I am planning duck for tomorrow's dinner....
Been watching The Mummy (yes I know, it's a terrible film but it's entertaining and not likely to upset me) and have a bubbly bath planned for later. Thanks everyone waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 11-9-2008 at 18:46

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck Red;)

Didn't get it.

And I can't land a first interview anywhere ELSE!

My end up having to go back to working at the Truck Stop on overnights.

:(

Quaver - 11-9-2008 at 18:53

Quote:
Didn't get it.

And I can't land a first interview anywhere ELSE!

My end up having to go back to working at the Truck Stop on overnights.

huggydo

Swish Checkley - 12-9-2008 at 13:18

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH
Why are some of my CLOSEST FRIENDS asking me why I have insomnia? BECAUSE MY BROTHER IS DEAD. It is a very common symptom of grief. Isn't it obvious? What is WRONG with them? angry)Kill1angrymad2_axey_ooerrr_eedrop_down

John_Little - 12-9-2008 at 13:55

I dont suppose you are familiar with "Pie and Mash" with green liquour.

Now, that's what I call comfort food. That's done it. I'm off to Manzies on Monday for a job lot.

But with sausages, you cant beat egg and chips. With Dadies Sauce. And thick slices off a seedy bloomer loaf.

I'm having a Chinese curry tonight.

John_Little - 12-9-2008 at 13:57

Do you like a bottle of wine, Swish? You could make a bit of a special occassion of it. You and Mr Swish, something a bit posh and special and a bottle of wine, or two. That should anesthetise you nicely.

You could make it an excuse that you are doing it for him. And just eat to keep him company. After a couple of glasses, you might even start to enjoy it.

Edit: With candles, of course.

Swish Checkley - 12-9-2008 at 14:07

Quote:
Do you like a bottle of wine, Swish? You could make a bit of a special occassion of it. You and Mr Swish, something a bit posh and special and a bottle of wine, or two. That should anesthetise you nicely.

You could make it an excuse that you are doing it for him. And just eat to keep him company. After a couple of glasses, you might even start to enjoy it.

A plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasle ;) As it happens we are going to a family wedding tomorrow so there should be both alcohol and good food. Unfortunately unlike 'normal' people who get sleepy when they drink, alchohol makes me wide awake, and I also have been advised not to drink with the pills I've just started taking for insomnia. Poot.

John_Little - 12-9-2008 at 15:15

Oh well. Back to the drawing board. The wedding might be a good distraction, though. Specially if its a long one because they can be quite tiring. And all those friends (and family?) might take your mind of things for a while. Or are they likely to remind you even more?

Badgergirl - 12-9-2008 at 15:32

Swish, have you tried herbal nightol and some horlix? The tablets are rather big though.
I went through a rough patch of not sleeping or eating and I found the Herbal nightol eased natural sleep and the horlix put something malty and soothing in my tummy!

It's hard to find films/music/books etc that won't in any way remind you of the thing that hurts, but a good action movie always does the trick for me. The Mummy is rather good, for that and I LOVE men in black to lift my mood.
Lethal Weapon or Die Hard also suitable material.

John_Little - 12-9-2008 at 15:37

But wont that leave her all hyped up? Surely something a bit more boring would be better.

janet - 12-9-2008 at 20:40

Heh - Swish? I can send you my thesis? That'd put ANYONE to sleep! :)

If all else fails, there is always... (drumroll) WITTEGENSTEIN!

(This is in the way of a joke - in reality, many hugs to the Swishyperson).

Swish Checkley - 13-9-2008 at 10:37

Quote:
Oh well. Back to the drawing board. The wedding might be a good distraction, though. Specially if its a long one because they can be quite tiring. And all those friends (and family?) might take your mind of things for a while. Or are they likely to remind you even more?

I honestly don't know, I'll have to get back to you on that one. On one level I am looking forward to the wedding because it's a happy occasion, on another I am feeling maudlin because neither my Mum nor my brother nor any of my grandparents will be there, there's only me and my Dad left of my immediate family.

Swish Checkley - 13-9-2008 at 10:41

Quote:
Swish, have you tried herbal nightol and some horlix? The tablets are rather big though.
I went through a rough patch of not sleeping or eating and I found the Herbal nightol eased natural sleep and the horlix put something malty and soothing in my tummy!

I have tried herbal remedies in the past for insomnia and found they have no effect on me unfortunately. I hate Horlicks with a passion but did try some the other night and think it helped so will grit my teeth and buy some more. Desperate times!

Quote:
It's hard to find films/music/books etc that won't in any way remind you of the thing that hurts

True, though sometimes a weepy film can be a 'safe' way of letting feelings out I find, so it's not always a bad thing. I read a lot of travel books which are generally fairly non threatening and good escapism (and the current read has the added benefit of Ewan Mc Gregor :D)

Swish Checkley - 13-9-2008 at 10:42

Quote:
Heh - Swish? I can send you my thesis? That'd put ANYONE to sleep! :)

If all else fails, there is always... (drumroll) WITTEGENSTEIN!

(This is in the way of a joke - in reality, many hugs to the Swishyperson).

:) Thanks.

Badgergirl - 13-9-2008 at 14:41

Quote:
Quote:

I have tried herbal remedies in the past for insomnia and found they have no effect on me unfortunately. I hate Horlicks with a passion but did try some the other night and think it helped so will grit my teeth and buy some more. Desperate times!

Quote:
It's hard to find films/music/books etc that won't in any way remind you of the thing that hurts

True, though sometimes a weepy film can be a 'safe' way of letting feelings out I find, so it's not always a bad thing. I read a lot of travel books which are generally fairly non threatening and good escapism (and the current read has the added benefit of Ewan Mc Gregor :D)

I agree with travel books too! Michael Palin DVD's have also got me through some sad times.
Ovaltine or Chocolate Horlix are also warm, snuggly and fattening!
What about "Normal" Nightol, which also induces a natural sleep? I always go herbal first, but that's coz I'm a hippy dippy.

Swish Checkley - 14-9-2008 at 19:31

Quote:
I agree with travel books too! Michael Palin DVD's have also got me through some sad times.

Aah Michael Palin, yes he's great, though annoyingly I can't face reading his latest book yet because it that TV series that inspired our trip to Romania which was cut short by my brother's accident :( So having said I don't find travel books painful, that's the exception.
Quote:
What about "Normal" Nightol, which also induces a natural sleep? I always go herbal first, but that's coz I'm a hippy dippy.

*nodding* I'd much prefer the idea of herbal remedies than drugs, I just haven't found any that work for me yet. A number of peopel have recommended nightol, I may try it though an equally large number of people have complained of unpleasant side effects.

The weekend was the hardest I've had a for a while, my cousins' wedding made me very sad and sleep has been very poor indeed. *sigh*

janet - 14-9-2008 at 20:26

(((Swish)))

Swish Checkley - 15-9-2008 at 08:48

Quote:
(((Swish)))

Thanks. I wore myself out crying last night and had a decent sleep afterwards, so feel slightly more human today.

John_Little - 15-9-2008 at 10:44

Would you mind a quick (((swish))) from someone you dont know quite so well? Too late now. Its done.

Swish Checkley - 15-9-2008 at 12:47

Quote:
Would you mind a quick (((swish))) from someone you dont know quite so well? Too late now. Its done.

I wouldn't mind in the slightest! You are most kind kissykissy

LSemmens - 16-9-2008 at 02:33

Sorry Swishie, been away for a while ((((((Swishie)))))). You may need to talk to you GP about some anti-depressants for a while. Given the stress of the last few months, it isn't a bad thing, I've got to live on them for different reasons. you may only need them for a short time and will help you cope with those who, meaning well, can be inconsiderate at times.

Swish Checkley - 17-9-2008 at 08:52

I honestly think anti depressants wouldn't help in this case. What I need is time and space to express my feelings of grief rather than suppressing them. I'm aware that much of what I'm experiencing matches some of the symptoms of depression but I've also been depressed before and had anti depressants to deal with the worst of the lows. Part of my current problem is that I'm not getting enough opportunities to express the lows. I am upset and I want to be upset!

(And before anyone suggests counselling, I've considered it - I saw a counsellor for a little while after my Mum died and found it useful but only really in the sense that it made me realise that grieving is a natural process that has to be gone through)

John_Little - 17-9-2008 at 09:01

So true. Have you tried getting angry?

Dreamweaver - 17-9-2008 at 09:26

I went down the road of refusing drugs and councelling.
I was a real mess for over a year(still shaky now), but I don't think drugs would have helped.
Yes, it would have taken the edge off, but I felt it would still be there waiting for the drugs to stop.
My family understood I needed to cry (sometimes at the most embarrassing moments) they fended off whoever was there while I moved to somewhere less public.
Let's face it Swish, a sound, a word. an image and suddenly your with the person you lost. That's what grieving is all about, forget the stiff upper lip rubbish.
I was once advised that if I get upset to think of something else quickly to halt the flow. How the hell that was supposed to help I don't know. I tried it and felt I was betraying the memory I was reliving.
My advise would be to let it out Swish, if something makes you angry or sad then vent it.

shywitch - 17-9-2008 at 09:40

I know someone that contacted these people... and they really 'did' help.
I think it was being able to speak to someone who had been there too... that helped.

http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/

Swish Checkley - 17-9-2008 at 10:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
I went down the road of refusing drugs and councelling.
I was a real mess for over a year(still shaky now), but I don't think drugs would have helped.
Yes, it would have taken the edge off, but I felt it would still be there waiting for the drugs to stop.
My family understood I needed to cry (sometimes at the most embarrassing moments) they fended off whoever was there while I moved to somewhere less public.
Let's face it Swish, a sound, a word. an image and suddenly your with the person you lost. That's what grieving is all about, forget the stiff upper lip rubbish.
I was once advised that if I get upset to think of something else quickly to halt the flow. How the hell that was supposed to help I don't know. I tried it and felt I was betraying the memory I was reliving.
My advise would be to let it out Swish, if something makes you angry or sad then vent it.

(((Dot)))
Thanks. I don't want to cause you pain by bringing back awful memories but I'm also not a believer in sweeping these things under the carpet, the more people can talk about their feelings among friends the easier it is and the more we remember that we are not alone.

Swish Checkley - 17-9-2008 at 10:08

Quote:
So true. Have you tried getting angry?

I wish you could see how much your post has made me laugh! It's good to laugh. Yes I have been angry, very angry, about lots of things. Most of them completely unreasonable and often inappropriate, but it's therapy of a sort and it does help because anger can be easier to express than sorrow. :)

Swish Checkley - 17-9-2008 at 10:10

Quote:
Originally posted by shywitch
I know someone that contacted these people... and they really 'did' help.
I think it was being able to speak to someone who had been there too... that helped.

http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/

*nodding* thanks. I am fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) that I do know a number of people who have suffered similarly difficult losses and who understand.

Dreamweaver - 17-9-2008 at 10:10

Quote:

(((Dot)))
Thanks. I don't want to cause you pain by bringing back awful memories but I'm also not a believer in sweeping these things under the carpet, the more people can talk about their feelings among friends the easier it is and the more we remember that we are not alone.

You aren't causing extra pain Swish, I can talk about Karl quite freely in the day to day stuff now, E.G "Karl always loved that, did that, wanted that" type of chat.

It's anything related to the last 3 months of his life that brings pain. Unfortunately that will take longer to come to terms with.

Swish Checkley - 17-9-2008 at 11:15

Quote:
You aren't causing extra pain Swish, I can talk about Karl quite freely in the day to day stuff now, E.G "Karl always loved that, did that, wanted that" type of chat.

It's anything related to the last 3 months of his life that brings pain. Unfortunately that will take longer to come to terms with.

*nodding* All makes good sense to me. I have been trying to avoid giving the details of my brother's accident and hospitalisation because in some ways it was similar if a lot quicker and I figured you (and other folks here) didn't need that.

Badgergirl - 17-9-2008 at 11:46

When I was "Grieving" for a relationship (I was a mess for about a year), I went to a really lovely Hypnotherapist.

He didn't want me to surpress anything but the processes he used help me manouvre my thoughts into the right place for the right time. It helped me to stop crying in embarrassing places.
Sadly he died soon after I met him, but you may be able to find someone qualified.

Swish Checkley - 17-9-2008 at 12:55

Quote:
When I was "Grieving" for a relationship (I was a mess for about a year), I went to a really lovely Hypnotherapist.
He didn't want me to surpress anything but the processes he used help me manouvre my thoughts into the right place for the right time. It helped me to stop crying in embarrassing places.

*nodding* that sounds like a very useful skill.
Quote:
Sadly he died soon after I met him

Oh dear :( I'm sorry to hear that (((BG)))

Redwolf5150 - 17-9-2008 at 13:56

You know, it's how everyone is rallying around Swiss that keeps me coming back here.

Really.

I have no words of comfort I can offer other than I am wishing you good Karma.

If that helps in some small way, I'm glad.

Swish Checkley - 17-9-2008 at 14:27

Quote:
You know, it's how everyone is rallying around Swiss that keeps me coming back here.

Really.

I have no words of comfort I can offer other than I am wishing you good Karma.

If that helps in some small way, I'm glad.

Any response helps, thank you. I'm not looking for any great words of wisdom, just a place where I can be with friends and be myself.
And the great strength of Karls' forums is that we all have our problems of one sort or another but we rally round to support each other in times of need.
thnkall_karling_reachesthnkall

LSemmens - 18-9-2008 at 13:05

Despite our disagreements and, sometimes, petty squabbles, we are all here for you Swishie, Dot, and others. We are like a big disfunctional, sometimes, family! (((((((insert name here))))))) waveysmiley

Dreamweaver - 19-9-2008 at 18:28

[bad img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karl.davis2/smilies2/dynamite.gif[/bad img] [badimg]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karl.davis2/smilies2/dynamite.gif[/bad img] [badimg]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karl.davis2/smilies2/dynamite.gif[/bad img] [badimg]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karl.davis2/smilies2/dynamite.gif[/bad img] [badimg]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karl.davis2/smilies2/dynamite.gif[/bad img]

Stand well back folks!!!! I feel a scream brewing!!!!!!!!

janet - 19-9-2008 at 18:38

Quote:
Quote:

(((Dot)))

((Dot))

I hear you. Sometimes people are taken aback that we talk quite happily about David, remember him, etc... and that doesn't mean that simple things don't grab us and hurt (driving down a street did that to me the other day, of all things).

I think it's all part of it - small steps, one at a time.

(((Dot)))

delanti - 19-9-2008 at 19:27

I truly hope that life gets better for you Swish. Memories can be painful at times but then on the other hand how sad it would be if when we lost someone near and dear that the memories were erased forever. crybabyme

Redwolf5150 - 19-9-2008 at 19:28

No.

Actually I think she's referring to me letting my Pokémon run amok on 2Cute.

Sorry Dot.

Sometimes the boy just brings out the urge to throttle in me.

I'll try to behave.

kewl_glasses

Dreamweaver - 19-9-2008 at 20:05

Quote:
No.

Sorry Dot.

I'll try to behave.

kewl_glasses

Your wrong lol.

scholar - 19-9-2008 at 20:10

If Dot just needs a good scream, without telling us what's behind it, that's fine with me.

And they need not all be serious reasons, either. Do you remember, as a kid, feeling like running around screaming?:)

Redwolf5150 - 19-9-2008 at 20:12

Quote:
Quote:
No.

Sorry Dot.

I'll try to behave.

kewl_glasses

Your wrong lol.

Good, cause I soooooooooooooooooooooooo love playing Whack-a-Mole" with dat boy.

roffle

TooCute4Words - 19-9-2008 at 20:30

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No.

Sorry Dot.

I'll try to behave.

kewl_glasses

Your wrong lol.

Good, cause I soooooooooooooooooooooooo love playing Whack-a-Mole" with dat boy.

roffle

To be honest Redwolf, I think this is the wrong sort of thread to be posting that sort of comment in, show some dignity :(

bears night club is open all day for that kewl_glasses

Redwolf5150 - 19-9-2008 at 20:32

2Cute

some words of wisdom for you

TooCute4Words - 19-9-2008 at 20:36

Quote:
2Cute

some words of wisdom for you

That's weird confused2

I clicked on that link and this came up,

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Oh well confused2

Now I'll never know what it was?

Maybe it was someone blowing me a kiss shocked_yellow

Redwolf5150 - 19-9-2008 at 20:39

Dean Wormer from Animal House:

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

HARDLY a kiss.

roffle

Swish Checkley - 21-10-2008 at 13:50

AAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH
I am aware that I am irritable because I am stressed and I am trying my best not to overreact to stuff and be aware that other people have their own problems to deal with but when my best friend fails to remember that I am scattering my brother's ashes at the weekend it makes me MAD.
angry)angry)angry)angry)

Quaver - 21-10-2008 at 14:07

(((Swish))):(

Swish Checkley - 21-10-2008 at 14:09

Quote:
(((Swish))):(

Thanks, I pointed out in a reasonably calm way and have had an apology :)

LSemmens - 22-10-2008 at 11:01

((((Swishie)))) for now and ((((Swishie)))) for the weekend! I hope the day will be a special day of remembrance for you. Celebrate his life, the day will have enough sadness of its own.

Swish Checkley - 22-10-2008 at 11:32

Quote:
((((Swishie)))) for now and ((((Swishie)))) for the weekend! I hope the day will be a special day of remembrance for you. Celebrate his life, the day will have enough sadness of its own.

Thanks Leigh. There will be lots of Scottish cavers there to share happy memories with (we've timed it to coincide with the caving club annual dinner). They were hugely supportive at his funeral and I'm expecting it to be a positive occasion overall.

LSemmens - 22-10-2008 at 11:47

Are you going to spread his ashes in a cave?

Swish Checkley - 22-10-2008 at 12:16

Quote:
Are you going to spread his ashes in a cave?

We're going to plant a tree outside the caving club 'hut' - which just so happens to be in an area where they are trying to regenerate tree growth and scatter his ashes on the hillside there. http://www.assyntfoundation.org/
Unfortunately the weather forecast is poor (100% chance of rain!) but that's traditional for Scotland, we may go back next summer to visit and see how the tree is getting on....

Quaver - 22-10-2008 at 12:44

Quote:
We're going to plant a tree outside the caving club 'hut'

Beautiful idea:)

LSemmens - 23-10-2008 at 10:18

Even better, you'll have a living memory of him!

LSemmens - 3-11-2008 at 10:48

Bl***y cars! Mordern ones in particular! I managed to blow a head gasket a couple of weeks back, no problem, I'l take the head off and fix it! (in the "old days" job would have been done same day) Four days later I finally get to the point of removing Head Bolts, 'cept four of them won't budge! Two days later finally get them out only to find that engine which has now been sitting for a week has rust in the bore! Decide to replace entire engine with one from the wreckers. So.... off I go to wreckers and pick up a replacement engine for less than the cost of a re-conditioned cyl head, so far so good.

I can;t get into my shed 'cause there is so much gear in there and I really want a pit so decide to dig it out front of shed under where I've installed a couple of posts and rail to hold the block and tackle, so far so good. Move car into place only to find that the pit is too short! Now I am left to dig the extra four feet with a car over my head! Two days later, job done!

I spent today removing all the bits and pieces in preparation to lifing the engine out. What gets me is how any engineer can design a car where nothing is accessable? I've spent half of the day removing two bolts! In a car of twenty years ago the job would have taken five minutes! NOW I FIND tTHAT THERE IS STILL ONE BOLT holding the blankety blankety blank trasmission in place! i changed the engine in my old Cortina in a weekend in my youth, THIS HAS TAKEN ME OVER TWO WEEKS and I still haven't got the engine out!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Quaver - 3-11-2008 at 13:51

Can't really think of anything to say, so will scream with you..

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dreamweaver - 3-11-2008 at 16:19

Quote:

I am so glad you c+p that scream Q, Ihad to edit it because he overblew my page with his scream!!! waggyfingerwaggyfinger

Quaver - 3-11-2008 at 17:18

Quote:
I am so glad you c+p that scream Q, Ihad to edit it because he overblew my page with his scream!!! waggyfingerwaggyfinger

But Leigh is a MOD, he should know better:D

Swish Checkley - 3-11-2008 at 17:36

Quote:

What an excellent idea. Sympathy screams. We're with you Leigh .....
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.
(I don't know how to spell the noise Homer Simpson makes when he's really angry but that's how this one should sound)

LSemmens - 4-11-2008 at 11:12

Sorry Dot, must be a KF Theme thing, cause it wrapped nicely for me!

Just to continue the frustration I finally managed to remove the old engine today. In the process of lowering it onto the trailer (slack me didn't hook it up to another car) I managed to tip the trailer up, I thought that the new engine was far enough forward to counterbalance the old one.. wrong!!! Ended up standing the new engine on its flywheel, no damage that I can see. It's a good thing that the tailgate prevented it falling any further 'cause the next stop was at the bottom of the 6 foot deep pit I'd just dug for working on the car!

The day did get better and I now have the new engine in place and many of the bolts done up! Hopefully the pit will have dried enough in the morning not to need wellies (I pressure cleaned the engine bay whilst it was empty.) All I need to do now is re-install the tranny (This promises to be a frustrating excersise as it was that which caused my scream in the first place) ensure all other bolts are tight, make sure I haven't forgotten anything and it should be a goer!

LSemmens - 25-11-2008 at 06:21

I CAN'T WIN!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!
Yesterday was a mopderately successful day, despite having to do a 200 mile round trip for a funeral. I'm even cautiously optimistic 'bout getting my Linux Box on-line, thanks to Theravard's help last night.

TODAY< however!!! Got up had a coffee and thought I'd try and resolve the issues with my main box, Despite hiving stripped it down to bare bones last night and all seeming happy, the BL***y thing wont even finish POST! Beep codes indicate all is normal, just wont identify anything on any IDE or SATA channel. THEN, I went to start the car to go down to the post office to collect a parcel. Bl***y thing will crank, but wont fire on gas or petrol! It behaved perfectly yesterday! I've just had it towed to our local mechanic as I'm in no mood to play with it! That's allright, I'll walk to the post office whilst dropping car into servo. They can't find the parcel! He said it was there yesterday and was a rather large box, not the sort to be deliverd on the usual mail run anyway, and the mail man has finished his run, and gone home! So, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if they can find it!
I'll do another job that had to be put on hold whilst I got over the flu. Yeah! Right! The whipper Snipper fired up and ran beautifully until it decided to wrap itself up in some net that was buried in the grass, and stalled! It would not start again, so, I packed up and took everything home again (I'm clearing a block for a mate). Stripped it down, belw out all the fuel lines, jets etc, I even installed a new spark plug to boot, Running sweetly, so, back I go. I work for about two hours and then the bl***y thing decides that it doesn't want to play anymore and seized up solid! So, here I am three quarters of the way through a job and nothing I need will work!

I've given up! I'm now back to comuters again, at least I still have one machine to come here and whinge!

LSemmens - 25-11-2008 at 06:23

And I've just noticed heaps of typos, but am too annoyed to go back and fix them, sorry, people.

delanti - 25-11-2008 at 06:43

I thought I had a bad day but you got me topped. Yesterday I was looking in the freezer and saw a package that said goulash on it. I stuck it in the fridge with intention of having some for dinner tonight.

This afternoon I got in the freezer again (it is the top freezer over a fridge) to take out the turkey to thaw for Thursday. To get to the turkey I had to take out 2 1/2gallons of ice cream which I placed on top of the unit. After getting the turkey out I rearanged some of the other stuff in there.

Dinner time came and I went to heat up my goulash and discovered that is not what it was but instead meatloaf mix. So I had leftovers while the meatloaf got put in a pan and stuck in the oven.

About 2 hours later my son got home from work and asked if I was thawing out the ice cream for some reason. Yup forgot to put it back in the freezer. Then tonight I went to bed as usual and here it is 1:43AM EST and I am up for the second time with the restless leg thing giving me fits.

I see Leigh is on, probably fixing that cranky computer. And Bear is also here but I am wondering if he fell asleep at the keyboard. Scholar is burning the midnight oil, must be fixing something in that new microwave.

Well I will play a few card games until the legs quit jumping around and I can get back to bed. Good luck all and I hope your day is better today. waveysmiley

LSemmens - 25-11-2008 at 12:19

Yep, I was playing with 'puter. It's terminal! I wish it was just a terminal, I could live with that! So, now my linux box is becoming a windoze box, am loading it as I type. Hopefully, at least that will be ok by termorra!

Swish Checkley - 19-12-2008 at 10:48

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!
:bon):bon):bon):bon):bon):bon)

LSemmens - 19-12-2008 at 13:13

Don't hit yourself on the head, Swishie, although it does feel good when it stops! Have a (((Swishie))) and a tea_breaky on me!

LSemmens - 4-2-2009 at 10:05

Doors! I finally got around to attempting to adjust the doors that I'd hung in our rumpus room today. Tell me.... How can a door which opens and closes properly have a huge gap at the top and none at the bottom, on the hinge side? I'd used parliament hinges on that door as it is part of a bi-fold arrangement which, for security, requires all hinges on the inside.

In the end, I pulled the doors off the frame, removed the frame, got another piece of timber and fitted the door on the bench, it fits snugly. I re-hung it all and now I can't close it because it sits higher! Tomorrow, it comes off again and I'll have to fire up the plane and then muck around re-seating the concealed catches! Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

waffler - 6-2-2009 at 03:37

Sounds like you need a good chippy

scholar - 6-2-2009 at 04:14

Leigh will get through it OK. He's just really frustrated.

I've been told this is a thread for letting it out in a scream (with or without explanation). I once made a suggestion intended for helpfulness, and was advised I was missing the idea. :)

Quaver - 6-2-2009 at 04:24

It's good to have reaction to the scream thoughkewl_glasses

scholar - 6-2-2009 at 04:57

Quote:
It's good to have reaction to the scream thoughkewl_glasses
I'll keep that in mind.:)

LSemmens - 6-2-2009 at 12:37

A good chippy might be able to explain why, with heavier hinges, the re-hung door still sags to the same degree! It was ok when I first re-hung it, and was even able to sort of secure it last night, now they are all off again whilst I add another 25mm to the hinge side of the door with the parliament hinges to allow the secondary door to open properly w/out binding on the hinges! I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, so Sunday will be the earliest that I can get back to it, I suspect. Meantime, has anyone got a couple of 125mm parliament hinges to spare? I suspect that I'm going to have to add two more to the main door to prevent the sag.

Swish Checkley - 7-4-2009 at 08:39

Eddie Izzard is coming to my lcoal theatre at the end of the month. He's sold out. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I'm on their mailing list but they didn't advertise it, damn them and I've only just found out. I've got tickets to see him in October but that's in a huge venue and the theatre here is really small - it would be so much better. I'm so gutted. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! again.
ooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_ee

LSemmens - 7-4-2009 at 13:23

Keep checking the ticket office Swishie. When Cats first played in Darwin all the performances were sell outs. We got tickets and enjoyed it so much that our daughter was rather envious. The day of the last performance they "found" some extra seats in front of the speakers, not the best spot, but close to the stage. As the performance was about to start, the ushers moved those in front of the speakers down to the front row so that they could see better. They had the best seats in the house! Daughter still raves about that show.

Quaver - 7-4-2009 at 15:53

Quote:
Keep checking the ticket office Swishie.

Or go there early on the day and queue for returns. That's what I did in my student days.

Swish Checkley - 8-4-2009 at 07:33

I'm on the waiting list for cancellations, so there's a small chance I might get in - and I've booked tickets for something else the same evening in the hope of invoking the Law of Sod!

Quaver - 8-4-2009 at 08:44

There's bound to be some returns, good luckwaveysmiley

LSemmens - 8-4-2009 at 13:39

Is the alternative a good one? We went to see a movie once that was so memorable that I can't even remember the name, although it had top billing, the support movie had us in stitches, and we still enjoy it from time to time. That was Wayne's World!

waffler - 9-4-2009 at 03:18

Quote:
Eddie Izzard is coming to my lcoal theatre at the end of the month. He's sold out. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I'm on their mailing list but they didn't advertise it, damn them and I've only just found out. I've got tickets to see him in October but that's in a huge venue and the theatre here is really small - it would be so much better. I'm so gutted. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! again.
ooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_eeooerrr_ee

Have looked on ebay for tickets confused2

waffler - 9-4-2009 at 03:22

Quote:

the Law of Sod!

never heard it called that way b4 :)

waffler - 9-4-2009 at 03:26

U2

Now theres a ticket I would love to have , but couldn't make it or afford it :(

Swish Checkley - 9-4-2009 at 07:38

Quote:
Is the alternative a good one?

It's a classical concert -
Berlioz: Overture Le Corsaire
Ravel: Piano Concerto in G
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet (excerpts)
so should be enjoyable :)

John_Little - 9-4-2009 at 07:40

But do they dress up in women's clothing?

LSemmens - 9-4-2009 at 13:15

Oh, go away John, we're trying to have a good scream here and you want to make us laugh! nananana

Quaver - 9-4-2009 at 23:00

Quote:
Quote:
Is the alternative a good one?

It's a classical concert -
Berlioz: Overture Le Corsaire
Ravel: Piano Concerto in G
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet (excerpts)
so should be enjoyable :)

I love Prokofiev Romeokewl_glasses
Never seen the ballet yet tho.

marymary100 - 9-4-2009 at 23:56

That's the version of R&J that I saw last year. They had updated it so that it looked like Italy in the 40s. I played the music quite a lot when I got home.

LSemmens - 10-4-2009 at 11:29

Prokofiev is always a good show, must look for some to listen to while I work. Thanks, Swishie, you've improved my day.

Quaver - 10-4-2009 at 18:40

Quote:
They had updated it so that it looked like Italy in the 40s.

Hmm interesting. A bit of West side story:cool:

Daz - 30-4-2009 at 22:05

FFS. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rolls_eyes

Muppets.

Pathetic.

giron - 30-4-2009 at 22:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

Muppets.

I wonder whether Kermit has caught swine fever off Miss Piggy? shocked_yellow

BTW, any sign of those duty free fags wot you won? smokin:

Daz - 30-4-2009 at 22:55

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

Muppets.

I wonder whether Kermit has caught swine fever off Miss Piggy? shocked_yellow

BTW, any sign of those duty free fags wot you won? smokin:

I've opened my last carton this afternoon, so I hope they turn up soon... ;)

LSemmens - 1-5-2009 at 14:33

Time to give up O'Daz, if the Duty free ones arrive you can always take 'em down to the pub and make a nice profit.

LSemmens - 27-7-2009 at 13:30

Somebody want a jaw ache? I went to the dentist this afternoon and after much stabbing the left side of my face was asleep. Now it's woken up again and my jaw is in agony! SWMBO seems to think that conversation is the way to go even though I've told her that it hurts to talk. I've got my new computer bits, but am in too much pain to concentrate well enough to read the documentation! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh! I can't even enjoy my new toy!!!! Now GIMP won't accept that I want to print a CD and insists on sending the print job to a document feeder and not the CD tray! Hopefully the panadeine forte that I've just taken kicks in soon. I can't think clearly!

Quaver - 27-7-2009 at 22:28

Awww poor you, especially with the new toy in front of you:(
Hope the Panadeine kicks in soonwaveysmiley

waffler - 28-7-2009 at 02:05

Quote:

read the documentation! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh! I can't even enjoy my new toy!!!!

Documentation

Whats that ????????????????:D

LSemmens - 28-7-2009 at 12:04

It wasn't overly helpful anyway, 'cept the MOBO layout, that was a pretty picture. Now all I've got to do is to convince my new monitor that there are, in fact, a full 23" to play with and not just the 22" that it seems to be using at the moment.

LSemmens - 18-9-2009 at 12:36

Just had to call the auto club out to tow our borrowed car to the mechanics as it seems to think that the gas tank is empty when, according to the owner, it should be good for another 200Km! That's just another thing that I've got to add to the list of things that need to be done before my son gets married tomorrow! Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!

LSemmens - 23-4-2010 at 04:51

I had the flu shot yesterday! Now I'm crook as a dog! Aaaaaargh! If you see me then I am here if not, I am in bed!

Quaver - 23-4-2010 at 05:56

Man fluwaggyfinger
Hugs anywayhuggydo

Nimuae - 23-4-2010 at 08:09

I always knew there was a good reason not to have 'flu shots !

Mary2 - 23-4-2010 at 12:07

We had all those left over shots you could have had Leigh...

;)

LSemmens - 24-4-2010 at 08:00

I've had it for years. This is the first time they've included the Swine flu in it! I've had a separate SF shot some months back, but, apparently it shouldn't matter. Qld and WA appear to have problems, too. My symptoms were very similar. According to them only Kids under 5 reacted like that, so what does that say about me?

Quaver - 24-4-2010 at 15:03

Quote:
According to them only Kids under 5 reacted like that, so what does that say about me?

You are a kid under 5?nananana

LSemmens - 19-6-2010 at 05:26

Bl**dy, Bl**dy, Bl**dy!

Aaaaargh!!!

SWMBO wanted me to swap some curtains from my orifice to the living room.

1st: short ladder not here - leant to friend, ok, use samll step SWMBO uses to get on bed
2nd: move obstacles like glass top table with clay pot.
3rd: perform deed
4th: thinks! must vacuum carpet before returning obstacles to home position
5th: sets up vacuum
6th: tries to move curtains to get to carpet edges as all bunched up
7th: one of the hooks is binding
8th: I know. get small step which I've left in Office
9TH: goes to walk out of living room and catch the corner of glass top table with leg. NO MORE GLASS TOP and NO MORE CLAY POT!!!!!!
SWMBO is out with son, so I can imagine her comments when she gets home!

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!!!!!!! Rude words!!!! Aaaaargh!!!!

Nimuae - 19-6-2010 at 07:52

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Leigh )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

John_Little - 19-6-2010 at 08:10

Oh
Dear.

Anybody hurt?

LSemmens - 19-6-2010 at 13:37

We nearly had roast for tea tonight! 'Cept son didn't want to cook his dad!

giron - 13-9-2012 at 14:07

Yes Leigh, the Primal Scream Therapy thread is still here. waveysmiley

delanti - 13-9-2012 at 14:35

Well i'll be a &(%#$#()^^@@%^ if it ain't!:D

giron - 13-9-2012 at 15:52

Watch your 'kin language! waggyfinger

Go wash your mouth out with soap ! :D

LSemmens - 14-9-2012 at 01:12

!#$%#%@%#^#%^%^@&^!!!!! I feel much better now! :D

LSemmens - 9-5-2013 at 13:49

Got a new screen to replace the cracked on on my phone. Research told me how to pull the phone apart but no one mentioned the fact that the glass is glued to the digitiser tablet, now I have a stuffed digitiser and LCD. Cost for new one? $239 on e-bay! Aaaargh!

I broke one of the cardinal rules for computer work, I'll give you a hint, it starts with B! Now I've lost most of my recent appointments! Fortunately the rest is replaceable. I've just stolen SWMBO's new mobile and placed my SIM car in her old one. Unfortunately the features she needs are better served on her old phone, so she prefers that.

Redwolf5150 - 9-5-2013 at 14:24

I forgot about this thread. I'm surprised it doesn't become the next "club"

Primal Scream Therapy: No fake food or tunes, just real life release

scholar - 9-5-2013 at 16:54

Oh, Leigh, I feel for you. Needing to replace an electronic part is unfortunate; spending the money, and having matters go worse rather than better, is soooo frustrating.:(

LSemmens - 10-5-2013 at 12:38

What's even more frustrating is that Kies, the Samsung interface, does not seem to want to restore an old backup of my phone. It just hangs! Aaaaarrrrrrgh!

Quaver - 28-10-2013 at 15:02

I have a black eye!
It' my left eyelid, and it's purple and is getting bigger and heavier:(

I don't know what caused it, unless it's because I knocked my left side of my face with a cabinet door yesterday?
I did put something cold on it for a while, but it was not ON my eyes. It was near my eyes, but not the eyelidsconfused2

Aarrrrraaaagh!!!scared_stiff

John_Little - 28-10-2013 at 16:37

A friend of mine was walking to her home at our caravan club place and she felt an insect suddenly drop on her eye behind her glasses and it seems it bit her! She went to the hospital her eye was so swollen.

Quaver - 28-10-2013 at 23:00

Quote:
A friend of mine was walking to her home at our caravan club place and she felt an insect suddenly drop on her eye behind her glasses and it seems it bit her! She went to the hospital her eye was so swollen.

Wasp? lips_sealed

LSemmens - 28-10-2013 at 23:38

I'll scream with you! I should have screamed when I tried installing Linux on my media server. Two weeks wasted! It's now ticking over nicely again in Windoze.

the bear - 29-10-2013 at 06:18

Quote:
I forgot about this thread. I'm surprised it doesn't become the next "club"

Primal Scream Therapy: No fake food or tunes, just real life release

No food! No tunes! No imagination :(

Regards the Bear waveysmiley

LSemmens - 29-10-2013 at 08:24

Hate to tell you this O'Bear, the reason there is no imagination has nothing to do with food or music, it is all to do with a good Wine......or six!

John_Little - 29-10-2013 at 09:07

Quote:
Quote:

Wasp? lips_sealed

Actually, I wondered if it was a spider.

Quaver - 29-10-2013 at 13:43

Quote:
Hate to tell you this O'Bear, the reason there is no imagination has nothing to do with food or music, it is all to do with a good Wine......or six!

False widow?shocked_yellow

John_Little - 29-10-2013 at 18:22

Did you quote the wrong post, Q? But that was what I had in mind.

LSemmens - 29-10-2013 at 23:35

I hope I'm not a False Widow!!!confused2confused2;)

Quaver - 30-10-2013 at 08:03

Quote:
Did you quote the wrong post, Q? But that was what I had in mind.

How did that happen?shocked_yellow
Quote:

roffle

Nimuae - 30-10-2013 at 08:06

Quote:

Not unless you've changed sex, Leigh !

Nimuae - 30-10-2013 at 08:07

Still only intermittant internet connection! Aaaarrrggh !

Quaver - 6-11-2013 at 08:32

My eyes are getting much better:)
How's your internet Nim?

Nimuae - 6-11-2013 at 11:15

Still not good, Quaver. Some days it works, some days it doesn't, some days it just goes off in the middle of my research.

Am going to change to Sky - I think.

Quaver - 7-11-2013 at 11:43

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Still not good, Quaver. Some days it works, some days it doesn't, some days it just goes off in the middle of my research.

Am going to change to Sky - I think.

Good luck:)

Badgergirl - 11-11-2013 at 22:05

My sister in law (J's sister) is a complete cow!

In seven years, I have NEVER met her even when she was in the city with her Mum and Gran. She stayed in her hotel room to avoid me.
She's told J she never wants to meet me.

I've never spoken to her, never heard her voice and the only communication I've ever had with her was me e-mailing her with a quick "Hello I'm J's girlfriend in case you were wondering who the Friend Request was from!" and she's avoided my attempts to "friend" her on facebook.

When we were out visiting J's parents, his Mum passed him the phone to speak to his Sister. He said "I hear you are miserable and broke like me, I'll post you a tenner for a drink and we can share the misery!" Which I think was a really sweet, brotherly thing to say.
She told him to get lost!

Today, I have (for the first time) witnessed such behaviour first hand via a post on fb.
His Mum jokingly asked if he was alive and he responded he'd spoken to his Dad earlier that day and that he has " a life" and friend he speaks to "for real"
Now, J and his Mum generally argue all the time, but they can actually do comedy sarcasm without bad feeling.

His sister on the other hand...jumps in with "I have a life too, but it doesn't stop me calling Mum and Dad"

Apparently, the ONLY conversations J ever has with his sister is her telling him off for things ie...having his headphones on, inviting her to visit Carlisle, asking how she is, or not using fb to talk to his parents.

The last time she rang her Nana? 1 Year ago, because her Mum reminded her.

B*tch

marymary100 - 11-11-2013 at 22:50

She does sound unpleasant. Unfortunately you need to leave J to say it to you rather than vice versa. Funny things families.

the bear - 11-11-2013 at 23:17

Quote:
She does sound unpleasant. Unfortunately you need to leave J to say it to you rather than vice versa. Funny things families.

Enjoy your boyfriend :) and let little sis drown in her own misery lips_sealed

scholar - 12-11-2013 at 02:51

If she hasn't committed any crimes, hasn't stolen from you or others in the family, and hasn't disappointed you because of drunkenness or drug use, count your blessings. A person can commit much worse behavior than showing a bad attitude.

LSemmens - 12-11-2013 at 07:17

Not worth the stress BG! Let her stew in her own juices.

Now to my "scream" I get home after picking up SWMBO from hospital only to find we'd had a power flick and now my main PC will not boot! Won't boot from HDD, Recovery Stick, UBCD or anything else!

Runs through BIOS ok, (only the normal beep at start) starts to load, gets to the Windoze Logo and just sits there like a tea-pot! Currently running Memtest86, which, at least works as I have used some RAM in this machine that seemed to be flaky but could never prove it. At 69% and so far all is good.

Aaaargh!

John_Little - 12-11-2013 at 10:14

Always look on the bright side of life.

Of course, in the old days, I would have suggested you smoke a hamlet cigar.

LSemmens - 12-11-2013 at 11:59

Pulled the "new" RAM, and all is happy again.

John_Little - 12-11-2013 at 13:49

Queue "Air on a G String".

delanti - 12-11-2013 at 14:17

Quote:

John is right BG. After all she could decide to come visit every day and make your life miserable too.shocked_yellow

the bear - 13-11-2013 at 00:11

Quote:

I get my son to beat mine with a broom handle lips_sealed

LSemmens - 3-2-2015 at 05:47

Aaargh!!!!! This is the last time!!! I shift my office around!!!!! Son and family have moved out, so the house is ours again! So, instead of moving my office back out into the rumpus room, where it was, and, although it is a much bigger work area it is miles away from SWMBO. I am, instead moving it back into a room that was initially set up for my office, and wired accordingly (i.e. telephone, tv, power and patch panel for cat 5 mounted in wall). Problem is, I did not have the desk I now possess when last I used that room as an orifice (about 7 years ago methinks). The bl***y thing would not go through the door because the hallway is not wide enough to let me move it in one piece! So, I've just spent half an hour dismantling the top half so that I can stand it on end and flip it around the corner! All without scratching, or breaking anything. It's now in the room, so I thought I'd sit down and have a whinge before I try to manoeuvre it into position and re-assemble it! If anyone asks me to move it again, I AM LEAVING HOME!!!!!!!! Here endeth the rant!

marymary100 - 3-2-2015 at 07:13

(((Leigh)))

Nimuae - 3-2-2015 at 07:47

((( Leigh )))

Question - why have you 5 cats mounted on your wall ?

John_Little - 3-2-2015 at 08:38

Patience of a saint!

LSemmens - 3-2-2015 at 12:38

;) In case your question was serious, nim, cat 5